Rear "Retro" bike lights L. Must take AA batteries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
I could use them as is, as the bulbs will take any voltage between 1.5 and 9 volt. BUT for the summer in particular the lower amp NiMH will last longer (2nd or 3rd generation) as they don't or viturally don't self discharge. I have them in my back up front light and they always have about 1.5 hours charge in them even if I haven't used them for 3 months.

Not bad,I did use NiMh for many years before using these.Actually the 18650's have a protection circuit and must cut out as somewhere like 3v-3.2v.I think,has never happened to me.

There are 3 functions for the protection circuit.
1) Overcharge protection 2) Over discharge protection 3) Short circuit protection.

So what is the difference between 2nd generation and 3rd generation?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SD1

2nd 10% self discharge after one year. 3rd 80% after 5 years. Based on Sanyos....can't remember. Probably an exaggeration, you provably have to store them in the fridge to get that long. More importantly I am very unlikely to allows them to them to go into a deep discharge. Unlike the 1st generation.

Davidc

Guru
The 18650 Lithium rechargeables have very low self discharge too.

I use them for several things, generally as a single cell high capacity replacement for 2 alkaline cells. Recently put two which had certainly not been used for 3 years in the charger and they took less than 5% of the full charge time for the light to go green.

The LED lights you're using must contain some form of driver circuit, and should be fine on either NiMH or lithium. Holders for either are cheaply available on ebay.

OP
OP
S

SD1

Uncannily, just a year ago someone else was asking about the very same thing. I don't think he had any luck with it, and then he ... left. Pity really, you could have asked him about it.
He was offering lights? All I am after is one back light. I see them regularly at an auction I occasionally go to but I would have to buy the pile of shite its attached to!

OP
OP
S

SD1

The 18650 Lithium rechargeables have very low self discharge too.

I use them for several things, generally as a single cell high capacity replacement for 2 alkaline cells. Recently put two which had certainly not been used for 3 years in the charger and they took less than 5% of the full charge time for the light to go green.

The LED lights you're using must contain some form of driver circuit, and should be fine on either NiMH or lithium. Holders for either are cheaply available on ebay.
May go down the Lithium road. Need a charger etc. But I bought a battery holder with a male Trailtech end on for my Trailtech lights as a cheap alternative to buying a pack. I was just going to load it with NiMH and use it as the back up for the front light. May just buy Lithium's for that instead.

Davidc

Guru
May go down the Lithium road. Need a charger etc. But I bought a battery holder with a male Trailtech end on for my Trailtech lights as a cheap alternative to buying a pack. I was just going to load it with NiMH and use it as the back up for the front light. May just buy Lithium's for that instead.
Whichever seems appropriate! I've got lots of NiMH doing lighting (bike and things like cupboard lights). Work fine and they fit stuff designed for AA, AAA etc. I've got lithium ones doing a few jobs that need more capacity.

OP
OP
S

SD1

Not clever enough! I'm not sure how 'asking about' lights could be the same as 'offering' lights.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/so-called-retro-bike-light-1-5-volt-to-6-volt-please.161484/
It was a question, the clue is the question mark ?
If you are making a ? Give us a clue.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/so-called-retro-bike-light-1-5-volt-to-6-volt-please.161484/
Point?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Don't really understand the problem. Poundland will do a rear light at, erm , a pound, and a pack of matching batteries at, erm, another pound. Why faff about reinventing this wheel thingy?

OP
OP
S

SD1

Don't really understand the problem. Poundland will do a rear light at, erm , a pound, and a pack of matching batteries at, erm, another pound. Why faff about reinventing this wheel thingy?
True! But I want/love brightness on my rear light and longevity in the batteries. It probably has nothing to do with reality just a feeling that I am safer. Like wearing Nikey trailers as opposed to shops own brand. Doubtful there is much in the difference but!!

Top Bottom