Rear wheel punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, I keep getting rear wheel punctures on my MTB but cant work out why. I`ve checked inside the tyre and there doesnt appear to be anything there and I`ve checked around the rim to make sure there`s no spoke adding pressure to the tube - anyway, the punctures occur at different parts of the tube ruling that one out.

I have the tyres pumped up to the recommended pressure and everything I repair the tube it seems fine. In fact, I can normally get out for a cycle (20-30 miles), it`s just the next time I`m out that the puncture occurs.

Any advice on why or am I just being dead unlucky? At this rate, there will be more patches than tube!

screenman

Legendary Member
Use a new tube. In fact get a Slime filled one and your puncture rate will drop dramatically.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
  • Check the tube isn't being pinched between the rim and the tyre.
  • Check your tyre pressure is high enough, ie between 40-60 psi.
  • Check that the rim tape is intact with no holes or sharp edges exposed.
  • Check the tyre for embedded glass, thorns, wire or other sharp objects.
  • Check the inner tube to determine where the puncture is coming from, this will give you useful information and help you address the cause of the problem.

adscrim

Veteran
Line something on the tyre up with the valve hole on your rim so that you can check if the puncture is always occuring at the same point relative to the tyre. Is the damage occuring on the tyre or rim side of the tube?

Brommyboy

Über Member
If caused by a bramble thorn, you are unlikely to find it easily! These can embed in the tyre and be very difficult to spot. Remove with tweezers after being located.

Pauluk

If caused by a bramble thorn, you are unlikely to find it easily! These can embed in the tyre and be very difficult to spot. Remove with tweezers after being located.

Agree with this. I had a thorn in my tyre that caused a puncture and only became visible when I turned the tyre almost inside out. It then raised up just enough to spot and extract with needle nose pliers. Prior to flexing the tyre the thorn just lay there invisible.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
  • Check the tube isn't being pinched between the rim and the tyre.
  • Check your tyre pressure is high enough, ie between 40-60 psi.
  • Check that the rim tape is intact with no holes or sharp edges exposed.
  • Check the tyre for embedded glass, thorns, wire or other sharp objects.
  • Check the inner tube to determine where the puncture is coming from, this will give you useful information and help you address the cause of the problem.

I try my best to make sure the tube isnt pinched between rim and tyre
The tyre is pumped up to 60psi
Rim tape is intact with no holes
I`ve actually turned the tyre inside out to check for any objects
The punture is always in a different part of the tube

And thanks for all the other help, I`ll check the tube when I take it out the check where the actual puncture is - either that or splash out on a brand new tube and see what happens - last of the big spenders, me!

Top Bottom