Recommend a Helmet Please......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ch9houly

Hi Guys,

been cycling about a month now.... previously purchased a Bell crossfire helmet for £15 to do the job until I got on my feet.

So now I'm looking to get a half decent helmet. Can anyone recommend or provide me with a few good helmets for under £60?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I would advise going to a shop which has a wide range of different helmets, and then finding the one that fits the best. Different helmet manufacturers make different shapes and therefore some will fit better than others (same idea as shoes).

Look for something with Snell 95 certification if you can find it, as the test is tougher than the EN1078 that most helmets are submitted to, but fit is far more important than anything else. Also don't worry if the one you like isn't top of your price range, just go with what suits you best.

MrWill

Hi, I must of tried at least 15-20 helmets when I was looking for one. The Specialized Echelon and Propero 2 were the best. So I would advise you start with the Echelon.

Off the top of my head I tried all the ones in Halfords and the fancy ones like Kask Mojito, a few Lazers, Las, Catlike, Giro and so on, they all seemed a bit crap compared to the Specialized ones..

1. It must fit
2. It must be comfortable
3. It must be secure
4. It should pass Snell B95, or similar testing

vickster

Legendary Member
Try lots on and buy the one that fits as above. I probably tried 10 or more before getting my current helmet, a Uvex Boss Race. Giro didn't fit, Louis Garneau didn't fit, Catlike didn't fit, don't like how Specialized sit on my head albeit comfortable, Kask ok but very expensive

I wouldn't buy a helmet online, it gets expensive & inconvenient sending them back (if not from Wiggle or CRC)!

Why do you need to replace the Bell after a month if it's comfortable, what's not 'good' about it? If you want a high end light helmet, keep saving

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I favour Giro generally but have a decathlon one at the mo - good price when I was looking for one. Specialized unless xxl are like an instrument of torture on my temples.

Basically 100 people = 50++ opinions on what is best. My head isn't yours, my opinion on the efficacy of helmets and what I look for in buying one probably isn't yours. It is something you can narrow down on here maybe but don't buy just because someone tells you it works for them nor ignore helmets not mentioned here, go out and find one that fits you and you are comfortable in.

Mike!

Guru
Just got myself a Specialized Propero 2 here and finding it very comfortable, it replaced a Giro Monza that my 20 month old got hold of and dropped very heavily!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My only specification is mainly Ventilation as No1. You can get Bell Sweeps at about £50 ish these days - they were top end helmets.

I favour Bell Sweeps and Volts. The Volt cost me an arm and a leg. Can't be doing with pudding bowls. Both are very cool, helmets, get cold weather and you need a windproof skull cap. They are great in the current temps.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't like helmets with big vents as my hair looks daft (rather than all of me looking daft)! Comfort is key and aesthetic (on me, as far as a helmet can look aesthetically pleasing)

Top Bottom