Recommend an LED front light WITH batteries please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve observed that the batteries in my LED general use torches seem to last a decent period of time. With Wilko batteries as cheap as they are, I’m interested in a battery type cycle lamp Can anyone recommend a front lamp that uses batteries as opposed to being a rechargeable type? It doesn’t have to be a massive amount of lux, just something safe & legal.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Hope Visions use four AA cells. I've used mine for about six years with a rotating pool of Eneloop rechargeables. It works well on urban commutes, and is fine for night riding on country lanes. Their after-sales service is quite amazing.
http://www.hopetech.com/

mustang1

Guru
I've bought many cateye lights and they always seem to develop a problem for me. So while you asked for suggestions on what to buy, at least I can suggest what you shouldn't. At least imho.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Almost any German legal light, 30lux plus. You'll be surprised how good they are. Even fairly cheap ones like Cube RFR Tour have battery indicators. Not sure if that one is still on sale because I've not yet looked this year.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It looks like the one that Aldi are doing at the moment . Front and rear for £4.99
Maybe it is. The one thing that lets down cheap lights in my experience is the brackets. The electrics last forever, but the brackets break, and a light without a bracket is useless. The one thing I've found with the Raleigh Special Products lights is that they're always very well made, so as well as working well, they last a long time. Of course Aldi may have done a deal with the same Chinese manufacturer and put their name on them, in which case, their sets are a stonewall bargain. But the RSP tag has proven a good guarantee in the past, and at a fiver, those ones do look a bargain to me.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
i've got a cree zoomable that works an absolute treat, just changed the batteries for the first time this year, it runs on three AAA batteries and the light is blinding.
the light also features, ultra bright and dim (high, low beam) setting as well as fast flash and slow flash.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Bright-CREE-XM-L-T6-LED-Adjustable-Focus-Rechargeable-Flashlight-Torch-UK/151015301099?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20150313114020&meid=4bc7439850f94e259c92269eeca021ec&pid=100338&rk=1&rkt=29&mehot=pp&sd=161685335621

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
+1 for the Hope. Have one of the mark one, one of the current version that came out in 2013. The elder one started munching batteries very quickly indeed after a wet FNRttC- it was five years old at the time and had many hours of use in all weather. Dropped Hope a line, they said to send it in and they'd have a look. They sent it back next day with the circuit board replaced, free of charge.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
i've got a cree zoomable that works an absolute treat, just changed the batteries for the first time this year, it runs on three AAA batteries and the light is blinding.
the light also features, ultra bright and dim (high, low beam) setting as well as fast flash and slow flash.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Bright-CREE-XM-L-T6-LED-Adjustable-Focus-Rechargeable-Flashlight-Torch-UK/151015301099?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20150313114020&meid=4bc7439850f94e259c92269eeca021ec&pid=100338&rk=1&rkt=29&mehot=pp&sd=161685335621
and it comes with a light sabre attachment :hyper:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
+1 for the Hope. Have one of the mark one, one of the current version that came out in 2013. The elder one started munching batteries very quickly indeed after a wet FNRttC- it was five years old at the time and had many hours of use in all weather. Dropped Hope a line, they said to send it in and they'd have a look. They sent it back next day with the circuit board replaced, free of charge.
By being extremely clumsy, I managed to fubar the cam-action handle bar clamp of my Vision One. It was three years old at the time. I rang them up to find out how much a new one would cost...."I think we can replace that under guarantee" the guy at the end of the phone said, despite me offering them payment. And they did, within thirty six hours, bless them.

Top Bottom