Recommend me.....a budget gilet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slioch

Guru
Hi all,

I'm after your wisdom & knowledge please.

I'm wanting to buy a cheap gilet. Nothing too fancy, just needs to be windproof, keep the odd shower at bay, and pack up small to go into the back pocket.

Something like this from Decathlon is the kind of thing I'm looking for, but would like to know what you recommend.

Thanks.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Really inexpensive one here http://www.cycle-clothes.co.uk/tenn-unisex-crystalline-pro-cycling-gilet--clear--sml16
- the 'pocket' is a joke however. IMO the best, most useful, gilets have rear pockets, but this one does the job of keeping the wind out.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I have a sportful gilet works quite well at keeping the wind off and the odd shower. In fact I wear it most if time in inclement weather. Only if it's horsing down with rain do I put on a full jacket !

Hyslop

Veteran
Hi all,

I'm after your wisdom & knowledge please.

I'm wanting to buy a cheap gilet. Nothing too fancy, just needs to be windproof, keep the odd shower at bay, and pack up small to go into the back pocket.

Something like this from Decathlon is the kind of thing I'm looking for, but would like to know what you recommend.

Thanks.
I have one of these and I have to say Ive been quite impressed all in all.I bought it having seen a review on Roadcc.I got fed up of buying gilets of varying prices only to find myself left with a torn,flapping plastic bag!So,I gave this one a chance,given the price,it seemed silly not to.On the positive side,its very light,packs very small(into its rear pocket,easily stowed in a jersey),windproofing is pretty good and it seems to keep off light rain.Now, my next point relates to fit.Im 5ft 5" with a 40" chest and my gilet is size EUR Large.Even so it isnt the raciest of fit unless fully zipped up.If you open the zip even a little,the wind lifts the shoulders and the gilet begins to flap around your neck!The other thing to bear in mind is that if you have anything in your jersey pockets,the gilet gradually rises over the pockets,riding up your back slightly.Ive perhaps made that sound worse than it actually is,I find it manageable to be honest.All in all Id buy this again,it has done all that Ive asked and saved me a great deal of money to boot!Id give it a try

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I've got a Decathlon one.
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/700-high-visibility-cycling-gillet-id_8315743.html

It's a decnt bit of kit for the price, the mesh back stops it getting too sweaty, but the front is wind proof and shower resistant.
Ideal for spring/autumn - and I've had it several years with no real sign of wear.

potsy

Rambler
I still haven't found the perfect gilet as ideally it would be lightweight, breathable and have decent rear pockets.
The jacket they were selling in Aldi the other week is almost there as it has zip off sleeves, not quite as light as my Endura gilet though.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I still haven't found the perfect gilet as ideally it would be lightweight, breathable and have decent rear pockets.
The jacket they were selling in Aldi the other week is almost there as it has zip off sleeves, not quite as light as my Endura gilet though.

The aldi one I got with the zip off sleeves is horrible. You can have mine cos I'm never going to wear it again.... It's not breathable at all, unless it's freezing you just end up with a horrible sweaty back.

Top Bottom