Recommend me a commute route from Waterloo to Chiswick

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I commute most days from Winchester to Chiswick by train/Brompton, getting off at Clapham Junction and cycling from there. That is 10.5k - a lovely peaceful route down back streets, riverside, cycle paths, but a bridge to carry the bike over (Barnes) and a lot of junctions and stops. So about 32-34 mins

Another option is to go all the way into Waterloo and cycle from there. Only a couple of k more, and it gives more train options as I have to get a very early train to get off at Clapham

So from Waterloo I plotted this route http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7317035 - I am a confident in London, but want avoid the dodgiest pinch points etc. Any cunning short cuts, or or other comments? Is it worth cutting into Hyde park at all?

Any suggestions welcome

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I don't really know the Chiswick end of things so I had a look at cyclestreets.net. It gives a couple of suggestions but appears to follow the Chelsea embankment route rather than further away from the river. http://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/43808701/

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I did a commute from New cross to Hanworth a short while ago and also go into the city for pleasure rides now and then . I found staying the other side of the river a lot nicer for traffic and nipping across to the posh side ^_^ after Clapham to be the best route .

That looks like a pretty good route. I used to enter Hyde Park at Queens Gate, and then come out at HPC, where you can drop in front of the traffic waiting for the lights.

There's a slight error at Hammersmith Gyratory. King Street is one way, so you follow the traffic and turn left into Studland St, then right into Glenthorne Rd, then back onto King Street.

The problem with this route is going back the same way takes you the long way around Hammersmith Gyratory. Lots of cyclists just cycle across the pedestrian area, but that's illegal.

I got around it by heading north from Glenthorne Rd and going on the north side of Hyde Park, but that doesn't do you much good if you are heading towards Waterloo. Not sure what you can do. I don't advise crossing Hammersmith Bridge when it's busy: you have to take primary, and drivers will try to bully you off. Chiswick Bridge then Upper Richmond Rd may work, but then it's probably just as easy to force your way around the gyratory. It's not that hard once you find the right line to be in.

FWIW, here's my old commute through Chiswick towards Euston http://app.strava.com/activities/95007459

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The OP's route is all but straight, so will take some beating.

Tracking north towards Bayswater Road/Holland Park Avenue, possibly up Kensington Church Street, would give reasonably plain sailing along Goldhawk Road, Bath Road, past Turnham Green and Chiswick Park tubes.

Then join Chiswick High Road a few hundred metres short of the destination.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The OP's route is all but straight, so will take some beating.

Tracking north towards Bayswater Road/Holland Park Avenue, possibly up Kensington Church Street, would give reasonably plain sailing along Goldhawk Road, Bath Road, past Turnham Green and Chiswick Park tubes.

Then join Chiswick High Road a few hundred metres short of the destination.
True but does he want the fastest route or a nice ride ?

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Many thanks for all the specifics. ! I guess I want a fast and nice route! What I want to avoid is a fiddly route with lots of stops/traffic lights/etc, and most of all I want to avoid massive danger. My route from Clapham junction to the office is a delight but going into Waterloo gives me far more choice of trains (last train in the morning that stops at Clapham is the 0618, after that all the rush hour ones don't stop.

Will probably give this a try in the mornings but come back via Clapham

simonsch

I do the first half of that every morning from Waterloo to South Ken, and its fine - you can't optimise the route further, I have tried. The only bad bit is Parliament Square, but once you know where to be in the lane at which time to minimise having to cross lanes, its fine. In any case, the famed cycle superhighway is supposed to fix it soon... The second part I've done most of when I do my full commute (just south of Guildford)-SK, and its fine also, although slightly congested in the mornings (with plenty of bike commuters though).

I face a similar issue, but go from Waterloo as I tend to take the rush hour trains; I find with less choice of trains I end up wasting too much time waiting for them. I just keep a bike at Waterloo for the London end. If I had a Brompton I'd be tempted to use Clapham Junction on occasion, just to shave the 7 minutes off.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I do the first half of that every morning from Waterloo to South Ken, and its fine - you can't optimise the route further, I have tried. The only bad bit is Parliament Square, but once you know where to be in the lane at which time to minimise having to cross lanes, its fine. In any case, the famed cycle superhighway is supposed to fix it soon... The second part I've done most of when I do my full commute (just south of Guildford)-SK, and its fine also, although slightly congested in the mornings (with plenty of bike commuters though).

I face a similar issue, but go from Waterloo as I tend to take the rush hour trains; I find with less choice of trains I end up wasting too much time waiting for them. I just keep a bike at Waterloo for the London end. If I had a Brompton I'd be tempted to use Clapham Junction on occasion, just to shave the 7 minutes off.
excellent comments @Simon Schultz - I will give it a try soon. The ride tomorrow from Clapham to Chiswick should be good - headwind of up to 49mph!

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
OK , went for this today and had a lovely ride. Actually did this in the end http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7446204. Parliament Sq fine, lovely views in St James Park, Hyde Park lovely. If I can avoid Hammersmith one way system I will though. Total door to door was pretty much the same as going via Clapham as the train to Waterloo is no longer as it was non stop, and although the ride is longer (approx 13.3 vs 10.5k) there are longer stretches with no stop/starts. Not sure it will work so well on the way back though but will see.

vickster

Legendary Member
Probably less hairy as the schools are still off. See how it is in a week, although sounds like roads can be avoided, parks will be busier with peds in the afternoon than morning especially with nice weather

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
You could avoid Jammersmith by going through Notting hill . Follow the Goldhawk road , bath road and around Chiswick common to pop out at the end of Chiswick high street . you still have to go around Shepperds bush though and I'm not sure if that's nicer than Hammersmith or not . Notting hill is nice though and going around Chiswick common takes you past the first London suburb to be built so not a bad route .

Top Bottom