England : North Yorkshire Recommended routes for someone based in York

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi guys,

I'm moving back down to uni in York tomorrow, and this will be the first time I've taken my bike with me. Just wondering if anyone can recommended any decent routes ranging from 15/20 miles up to 50ish. Most my rides will be 1/2 hours ish, particularly as nights get darker and wetter.

I'm based in Heslington for uni and have no idea of where I'm going to take my bike that will be fairly scenic and reasonably quiet, as I don't particularly enjoy riding on busy roads.

Any help would be much appreciated!

(btw this may be in the wrong section but I wasn't sure, sorry :blush:)

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Hi guys,

I'm moving back down to uni in York tomorrow, and this will be the first time I've taken my bike with me. Just wondering if anyone can recommended any decent routes ranging from 15/20 miles up to 50ish.

I'm based in Heslington for uni and have no idea of where I'm going to take my bike that will be fairly scenic and reasonably quiet, as I don't particularly enjoy riding on busy roads.

Any help would be much appreciated!

(btw this may be in the wrong section but I wasn't sure, sorry :blush:)

Checkout the york to selby bike path.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The path is ridable on a road bike, but it's quite narrow and well used by pedestrians and dog walkers.

In that respect, it's not really a roadie route.

A couple of the organised rides at this year's York Rally might suit and will certainly give you something to work from.

Happily for you, the routes are still on the website, click on the September Sportive tab.

Also, contacting one of the organisers would be a good way of getting route intelligence and generally getting into the York cycling scene.

http://yorkrally.org/

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I did part of that on the Brompton in the summer. Near the racecourse it was tarmac cycle paths - where the Solar System is - then in the countryside it was on roads.

At the York Rally someone gave me a map with lots of routes on - you should be able to pick up a copy. There's loads of cycling stuff in York - more than Newcastle :smile:

OP
OP
GeordieCyclist

GeordieCyclist

Regular
The path is ridable on a road bike, but it's quite narrow and well used by pedestrians and dog walkers.

In that respect, it's not really a roadie route.

A couple of the organised rides at this year's York Rally might suit and will certainly give you something to work from.

Happily for you, the routes are still on the website, click on the September Sportive tab.

Also, contacting one of the organisers would be a good way of getting route intelligence and generally getting into the York cycling scene.

http://yorkrally.org/

Just had a quick look at the website, certainly seems to be some great stuff on it, cheers.

Yes I ride it all the time on my road bike it is fine :okay: it is smoother than most roads.

Brilliant, thank you.

I did part of that on the Brompton in the summer. Near the racecourse it was tarmac cycle paths - where the Solar System is - then in the countryside it was on roads.

At the York Rally someone gave me a map with lots of routes on - you should be able to pick up a copy. There's loads of cycling stuff in York - more than Newcastle :smile:

That's good to hear. I know the uni have a cycling team but I'll not be quick enough for them so it's good that cycling is big in York!

Plus 1 for the cycle track I went up it today you can go North also on the track, see my route from today on Strava

http://www.strava.com/activities/397787668

Looks like a decent ride, cheers mate!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Also worth a snoop around the bike shops in York.

I'm sure the main Cycle Heaven branch - not the one at the station - has a noticeboard.

Another source is @mickle who I believe is based in York.

+1 for Cycle Heaven - they have local route leaflets (or did when I was last in, they've moved to a bigger premises since then) and will be happy to chat to you about where to ride.
The Selby cycle path is ok on a roadie, but there are lots of bumps due to tree roots on some sections so make sure you have good bar tape and gloves and stock up on some chami cream!
Also, if you ever have a day to spare a ride to Hull is a nicer option than it sounds! It's around 40-50 miles depending on which route you take and can be done in 2-3 hours quite easily.
Check out route 65 - http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/route-65
So you could set off in the morning, be there before lunch, spend the afternoon then either cycle or get a student railcard train back in under an hour.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GeordieCyclist

GeordieCyclist

Regular
Thank you for your help everyone! I should be sorted for some decent rides in the next few weeks, lets just hope the weather holds up ever so slightly ^_^

Out on the planets path to Naburn is my usual gateway drug, sorry I mean ride, for people new to either cycling generally or the wonders of my lovely flatlands. Past Naburn it gets a bit wider and quieter (watch out for the telegraph pole at the top of the 'hill' though) and out to Riccall (couple of pubs there) would probably give you a 25 or so mile round trip.

Stamford Bridge (good chippy) makes a fairly nice flat 20 mile round trip. Be warned that the sustrans route going via Dunnington to Stamford Bridge isn't roadie friendly! The A166 gets busy but I happily ride it, and I'm a hefty utility cyclist on a sturdy hybrid. The Osbaldwick/Murton/Warthill/Gate Helmsley route is the nicest I reckon, and avoids Grimston BAr roundabout. My standard 'training route' with the EldestCub was out through Osbaldwick to Murton, Warthill, Stamford Bridge, then one of the wiggly ways to Pocklington. We'd plan a 20ish mile route there for him, then he got a lift back and I rode home. For when you want to go a little further and a little hillier head onwards to Bishop Wilton and into the Wolds.

The cycle path along the river out towards Beningbrough is irritatingly bendy and slow unless you're riding with kids, so without them I tend to just suck it up and go for the Shipton Road/A19 until just outside the ring road and then take the left to Overton, which then puts you on some nice lanes. Good cafe in the grounds at Beningbrough too. Onwards to Tollerton, Aldwark and so on.

You do have to go quite a long way to get to any hills round here!

Top Bottom