Recovery time after a tiring ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
How long does it take you to recover after a tiring ride?

The length of such a ride will be different for each of us, so ignore that.

What I'm interested in is the after effects of a big ride for the individual.

It's taken me a while to realise, but if I do a hard ride on Sunday, I'm not quite back to normal until Tuesday or even Wednesday.

At the other end of the scale, I'm told it takes those who do London Edinburgh London in a quick time weeks or even months to fully recover.

What is your recovery time after a big ride?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I tend to be okay the following day, but every now and again I can have a commuting week (regardless of whether or not I've done a big ride at the weekend) were I feel knackered all week and need the weekend to recover

Typically I'm in about the same timescale as you: fully recovered - at least to the point of not being /aware/ of being in any way tired, so 'back to normal' - after two or three days. Whether I actually am fully recovered is debatable though. I think a 'big ride' every third day is entirely sustainable, whereas every other day might be somewhat marginal if maintained, and every day is definitely too much to sustain.

Reactions: mjr

davidphilips

Veteran
there are some nights after a long/hard cycle i sleep like a log and other times i am awake with pain a few nights (sometimes longer) after, think it depends on both how long the cycle compared to my normal distance and perhaps if i dont hydrate enough on the cycle.
i really think best thing for me is a slow (ish) cycle for the next few days after a long hard cycle if i dont then recovery seems to take longer?

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Still think of Steve Abraham doing all those miles day after day when he was doing the challenge. No recovery just a few hours of sleep.....

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Typically I'm in about the same timescale as you: fully recovered - at least to the point of not being /aware/ of being in any way tired, so 'back to normal' - after two or three days. Whether I actually am fully recovered is debatable though. I think a 'big ride' every third day is entirely sustainable, whereas every other day might be somewhat marginal if maintained, and every day is definitely too much to sustain.

You and I do rather similar rides..long and stupidly hilly. I definitely don't feel 100% the next day and almost never do a ride the day after a hard ride. I'll happily do a ride the day after that. So a big ride Sunday, Tuesday I feel fine. Whether I am actually at 100% or actually at 98% I'm not sure. But I feel OK

Immediately after a long hard ride I'm exhausted, usually have a nap and then moan all evening about not being able to walk up the stairs properly

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As most of my long, hardish rides are on a Sunday, I don't really get any recovery time as it's straight back on the commute on the Monday morning. I think it is something that your body get's used to and all about conditioning. The only day of rest I have is the Saturday. However I do try to have one complete weekend off a month from cycling. It usually doesn't work out that way though.

ayceejay

Guru
Obviously it takes longer to recover after you have ridden to exhaustion than, say a long ride that has left you tired after you've done a big ride that you have trained for.

Slick

Guru
I tend to agree about the variables, but as a rule I need at least 1 day off the bike after a big ride. I also would probably only do a commute just to get the legs moving again. That been said, I'm sitting here after having to dig deeper than is usual to get home tonight. Probably just the result of a stiff head wind but I can certainly still feel the burn in the thighs.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
I like to do my recovery on the bike. I'd been a while since I had a session where I was in pain but when I do I like to be back on the bike early the next morning to have a gentle spin. As far as time off the bike goes, Saturdays are my complete day of rest, sometimes, rarely, I'll ride Sunday.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've posted about this recently in the health forum. I believe that during the summer months I'm in a state of permanent fatigue; I reached this belief after noticing how strong I feel after my 2 week overseas trips where I take zero exercise and eat a high protein diet.

It takes me three days to recover from a good ride and a week or two from a really big ride. It's the reason why nowadays I'm trying to concentrate on shorter, good quality rides rather than massive epics.

Usually like to get an easy ride in after a big one as I've found this helps with my recovery and seems to lessen any effects of fatigue;usually notice a couple of days after that I'm feeling a bit weary but am usually alright again a couple of days later.

Top Bottom