Relaxed road bike replacement for tourer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul Gee

I have a touring bike with which I am very happy in so much as it is a comfortable and enjoyable ride.
I did have a road bike for a while but found it a more severe ride and sold it.

I know (vaguely) that the geometry differences between a road bike and tourer means they will feel different.
So my question is: if I want a lightish bike are there relatively light road bikes that will ride in the same relaxed manner as a touring bike?
Does anyone have any experience/advice? Ta.

vickster

Legendary Member
My genesis equilibrium is pretty chilled and around 10kg, my carbon Pearson is also fairly relaxed in terms of position (although being lighter at around 9kg as devoid of mudguards and rack I feel I should ride it much more enthusiastically)

There are plenty of roadbikes out there in alu, carbon, steel and titanium which are light (sub 10kg) and have quite a relaxed (aka sportive) geometry. Depends on budget, aesthetic preference, brand preference etc as to which are worth considering

PK99

Legendary Member
I have a touring bike with which I am very happy in so much as it is a comfortable and enjoyable ride.
I did have a road bike for a while but found it a more severe ride and sold it.

I know (vaguely) that the geometry differences between a road bike and tourer means they will feel different.
So my question is: if I want a lightish bike are there relatively light road bikes that will ride in the same relaxed manner as a touring bike?
Does anyone have any experience/advice? Ta.

You probably want something tagged as a Sportive or Audax bike - the former is more likely to be the lighter.

I have a Van nicholas Yukon, pretty relaxed geometry, all the bits and bobs to set up for touring, but light and swift in it's normal form.

#

Brandane

Legendary Member
The Specialized Secteur geometry is more like a cyclocross bike than an all out road bike. I have one and prefer the less head down riding position. It is quite a similar riding position to my Tricross but a bit lighter. Might be worth a look.

OP
OP
Paul Gee

Paul Gee

Thanks for your suggestions. The Van Nicholas Yukon is a bit beyond my budget, but the Specialized Secteur looks like it may fit the bill.

Dom_500

I am looking for a similar bike at the moment and the ones that pop up are the Giant Defy, Cannondale Synapse, Trek Madone and Specialized Secteur plus many more. I am going to go and test ride some of the above and go with the one that feels best.

OP
OP
Paul Gee

Paul Gee

Let us know what one you go with Dom. Certainly the Specilized Secteur gets some good reviews, but .. so many bikes !!

vickster

Legendary Member
I am looking for a similar bike at the moment and the ones that pop up are the Giant Defy, Cannondale Synapse, Trek Madone and Specialized Secteur plus many more. I am going to go and test ride some of the above and go with the one that feels best.
The Domane is the more relaxed Trek, the Madone is the more racy geometry :smile: Specialized Roubaix if looking at carbon options

Dom_500

God it is so difficult to find the right bike, I tried the Cannondale, Giant and the Trek (domane) and they all felt ok, however I then started looking on wiggle.....mistake

I have found the Verenti insight 0.4 and Mekk 2G Poggio P1.5 both carbon framed for around £600 using Sora, they seem like incredible bargains.

any thoughts on these?

Dom_500

Hi Vickster, they may be but the verenti is a ridley frame and mekk is the same frame as there 3k top of the range di2 equipped bike so i am wondering thinking they surely cannot be that bad?

Top Bottom