Removing oil from an eVent jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
I am guessing it's a Rab jacket if you state eVent breathable fabric?

How much oil and where on the jacket? From your trike by any chance?

I would try a small area using lighter fluid. Put fluid onto a cotton cloth not directly onto the jacket and try and see if the oil comes off with lightly rubbing the surface. Or try neat washing powder but only very gently as you don't want the jacket to leak if you do get the oil off. Or use greaseproof paper or is this an old wife's tale? HTH.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Try white spirit (obviously test in an inconspicuous area first) as it is great for removing paint, oil and tar from painted and plastic items but then dries away completely apart from a faint smell. Lighter fluid would worry me as I am not sure about how kind it is to plastics?

Try white spirit (obviously test in an inconspicuous area first) as it is great for removing paint, oil and tar from painted and plastic items but then dries away completely apart from a faint smell. Lighter fluid would worry me as I am not sure about how kind it is to plastics?

If the OP doesn't mind me asking - does this affect the waterproofing of a bike jacket in general? I have a Decathlon jacket that's starting to pick up the occasional oil and tar spot.

djb1971

Legendary Member
I usually soak black chain marks in neat fairy liquid for at least half an hour. Then give it a bit of light rubbing, then repeat. It then gets washed and reproofed if needed.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Thanks, all - lots of things to try there! I have the Fairy Liquid to hand, so will try that first.

Beanz, the oil doesn't seem to affect the waterproof qualities at all, just looks scruffy.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Anyone succeeded?

What did you do?

The answer is to have a black jacket. Simples :smile:.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I may well go the black route next time (assuming they are available with reflectives). Meantime, Fairy Liquid has reduced the oil stains from black to mid-grey, so I shall try white spirit next.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
This is a frequently asked question and my answer is brake and clutch cleaner...spray it on....ensuring not near any ignition sources. It lifts oil brilliantly and then just evaporates leaving no residue. Available from any motor supplies shop and it has saved my jeans, hi viz jacket.....and even our cream coloured living room carpet (and therefore my marriage!) Try it!

Top Bottom