Replace bottom bracket on Specialized Hardrock Disc 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Custom24

Über Member
Hi
I am confused. I think I need to replace the bottom bracket on my Hardrock 2012 Disc, because there is slight play in the cranks, and a rumbling when the cranks are spun with no chain on.

I'm happy just to replace with the identical bottom bracket, and I'm happy to do it myself.

But I'm not sure which bracket is identical and which tools I'd need.

Is BB-UN26-K the right one? I can only find that for sale on eBay, but there are plenty of sites selling BB-UN26 without the K.

What tools would I need, and any good videos or guides?

Thanks for your help
Mark

This'll help
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/cartridge-bearing-type-bottom-bracket-service-bbt
clean up ther old one when you get it out, it's usually written on what you need.

lpretro1

BB UN 26 is a very cheap bottom bracket so may not last very long. Better to get a UN54 in the appropriate length.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Looking at Spesh's website it appears depending on which model you have you could have either a square tapered or Octalink* BB. You should just be able to see the flats where the spindle enters the chainset if you have a square tapered BB and if you look carefully.

The first step is to remove the chainset (Octalink / Square Tapered**). Then follow Rusty's link for BB removal.

* there are two types of Octalink, must get the right one or it will damage the chainset
** the extraction tool is the same, but it is very important to remove the cap on the tool for square tapered removal, or else you will strip the threads on the chainset.

OP
OP
Custom24

Custom24

Über Member
I'm pretty sure it's this one

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/archive/2012/hardrock/hardrockdisc#specs

It's a square taper - I can see a square if I remove the hex nut in the middle of the cranks.
So I need a square taper crank removal tool.

But as for the bottom bracket extractor tool, I'm still not sure. There seem to be ones with varying numbers of splines for sale. I guess I just need to count the splines I can see?

And that's just so I can take out the bottom bracket to have a look and see what I need to order. What a pullaver.

I'll email Spezialized support.

Thanks
Mark

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Chance is you need one of these, but post a pic if you aren't sure. Don't get ones that won't let you use a spanner such as this because they won't let you bind the tool on the square tapered spindle with a M8x1mm bolt or, if the spindle is hollow, a QR skewer.

Top Bottom