Replacing Rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
I am thinking of buying a new touring wheelset from Spa Cycles for "proper" heavy duty touring, with something like a Shimano XT hub and Rigida Sputnik rims.

My existing wheels are WTB dual duty rims 36h with Shimano Deore XT hub. I'm thinking of buying some lightweight rims for these just for general everyday commuting use (so no more than my weight, my office clothes and lunch). From what I can see all spokes etc are undamaged, but I do have a buckle in the rear wheel that always comes back again. Can I just reuse the hub & spokes and just buy new rims and rim tape and have a crack at this myself?

Any other problems? Like swapping between wheels - I have a spare rear cassette and chain so I'd not have to keep moving the cassette over, although I guess the difference in chain wear on the different cassettes might be something to watch out for.

Also stupid question but I'm guessing XT is better than Deore and just XT is better than Deore XT?

ta

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Your best bet is using the same rims as the spoke hole dimensions/distances are the same.

The other option is to use one of the spoke calculators and see if the spoke length remains the same for the old rim and new rim if using a different type.

I've rebuilt wheels by just changing the rim.

I've got a set that need doing shortly.

I am thinking of buying a new touring wheelset from Spa Cycles for "proper" heavy duty touring, with something like a Shimano XT hub and Rigida Sputnik rims.

My existing wheels are WTB dual duty rims 36h with Shimano Deore XT hub. I'm thinking of buying some lightweight rims for these just for general everyday commuting use (so no more than my weight, my office clothes and lunch). From what I can see all spokes etc are undamaged, but I do have a buckle in the rear wheel that always comes back again. Can I just reuse the hub & spokes and just buy new rims and rim tape and have a crack at this myself?

Any other problems? Like swapping between wheels - I have a spare rear cassette and chain so I'd not have to keep moving the cassette over, although I guess the difference in chain wear on the different cassettes might be something to watch out for.

Also stupid question but I'm guessing XT is better than Deore and just XT is better than Deore XT?

ta
I want to suggest you keep your existing wheels and just replace the rims. That combination of WTB rims and Deore hub with 36 spokes is perfect for loaded touring and another set will give you no advantages.
You cannot just replace a rim with another, since the rim size will be different and require different spokes. Your best bet is to replace like for like. The kink that keeps on coming back is from a poor build, not due to the components.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member

ta

Find out the ERD of your existing rims and then buy rims with very similar ERD or your spokes will be either too long or too short.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
They are WTB Dual duty rims and I can't seem to find those specific rims online :sad:.
I'll see if I can find exactly the same kind of rim from another company and use them.

Top Bottom