reporting potential hazard points

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've mentioned in another thread, there's a street on a route I use that has cars parked either side with enough room on the remaining road for one car to pass. There is a bend at the head of the road which restricts the view down the road.

I also use it in car, so I know it's not just a cycle issue, but I have had cars speeding up past a passing place, to aim at me even though I have nowhere to go. They don't do that as much when I'm in my car.

I'm planning to drop an email to my local Councillor, who does seem fairly proactive, generally at election time though.

Is there anyone else I should contact as well or instead of, and what's favourite to ask them to do to remedy it? Double yellows or other places of refuge would be an absolute non-starter, so I'm thinking of signage, either warning of the 'danger', or as the road is mainly used in one direction a sign giving priority in the direction that is least used. It also gets used as a rat run, so maybe an 'access only' sign could help. I know that Police object to signs they can't enforce, but I'm not sure if these would fall into it.

Any advice/suggestions?

You could see if there's any scope for the road to be permanently changed to one way only.

Although realistically, about all you can do, even if you're riding in the middle and they insist on driving at you, is when you veer for a gap, hold up your hand and shout in a really loud sarcastic voice "thanks for giving way".

OP
OP
ClichéGuevara

ClichéGuevara

Legendary Member
You could see if there's any scope for the road to be permanently changed to one way only.

Although realistically, about all you can do, even if you're riding in the middle and they insist on driving at you, is when you veer for a gap, hold up your hand and shout in a really loud sarcastic voice "thanks for giving way".

I think making it one way would be worse as some fly down it now, when 15 to 20 mph is probably more apt.

You've just given me another thought. It's a two way street, but there's no entry from one end to stop it being used as a rat run in that direction. The problem is, quite a few assume it's one way, or seem to think if most cars are heading one way, they somehow have priority.

I reckon allowing access from both ends would cause the overall speed to be reduced, and the rat run would be self defeating in both directions. Does that sound plausible?

As for veering for a gap. There isn't always one there.

I reckon allowing access from both ends would cause the overall speed to be reduced, and the rat run would be self defeating in both directions. Does that sound plausible?

Your council probably won't agree to opening it up at both ends, because of the belief it would simply become a rat run again.

For any improvements or traffic calming work to be done, you'd have to get a few of the residents to complain about the current situation. Unfortunately a councillor isn't going to be interested in just your comments (especially if you don't live there).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They are trying a solution near me of one way except cycles, access only for motors and permit parking. I think it is relatively easy for police to enforce with a spotter at one end and a catcher at the other to deal with anyone who drives straight through, which is similar to how they do some other traffic operations.

mjr

For any improvements or traffic calming work to be done, you'd have to get a few of the residents to complain about the current situation. Unfortunately a councillor isn't going to be interested in just your comments (especially if you don't live there).
Most would be interested in threats to the safety of any of their voters IME but residents views would probably block anything they don't like. Ask them rather than second-guessing and defeating yourself before starting.

If you can get the local cycling campaign to back you, it should help, but I would say that, wouldn't I?

OP
OP
ClichéGuevara

ClichéGuevara

Legendary Member
They are trying a solution near me of one way except cycles, access only for motors and permit parking. I think it is relatively easy for police to enforce with a spotter at one end and a catcher at the other to deal with anyone who drives straight through, which is similar to how they do some other traffic operations.

What I want to do is highlight the problem, but offer some viable options for solutions.

I can see some merit in the one way except cycles option, especially in association with the other measures, and will mention it in my email, but doesn't it rely on those ignoring cyclists not being residents?

OP
OP
ClichéGuevara

ClichéGuevara

Legendary Member
Your council probably won't agree to opening it up at both ends, because of the belief it would simply become a rat run again.

I can see what you're saying. A double edged sword in the issue is that the Councillor for the area in question is from a party that is a real minority in the overall council make up. This means he has less direct influence, but does tend to work harder to keep his seat. It also means the main party are quick to grab schemes if they can steal his thunder.

mjr

I can see some merit in the one way except cycles option, especially in association with the other measures, and will mention it in my email, but doesn't it rely on those ignoring cyclists not being residents?
Yes but I think people are less likely to poo where they sleep IYSWIM... or commit violent traffic offences where the victim could readily find their car with acetone. :evil: Ask me in a year or two if that's proven correct.

Top Bottom