Result! Roadworks and hedge trimming, Bredbury/Stockport.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Back in March of this year I submitted the following via the Stockport Council Highways contact page.....

Subject: Pot holes and hedgerow encroachment, A6017/Ashton Road, Bredbury

Re; A6017/Ashton Road, Bredbury (Approx OS grid ref-SJ923931)

I have been commuting by bicycle between Ashton and Hazel Grove for over 12
months now and this location has always concerned me. Heading south (uphill)
from the bridge over the River Tame towards Bredbury Industrial Estate the
road is bordered by an overgrown hedgerow that encroaches into the road by a
few feet in places and as the road weaves up the hill this forces cyclists
to ride in a vulnerable position where they may be hidden from following
vehicles by the geography of the road. The problem is made worse by a long
strip of broken road surface at the grid reference supplied which gives a
cyclist 2 choices

. Continue to ride as close to the bushes as possible (being aware
of stray branches that may strike your face) and ride over the badly broken
surface, or
. Ride outside of the potholes but risk being struck by following
vehicles as they round the bend and find an unexpected slow moving cyclist
in the middle of the lane.

Would it be possible to have the hedge cut back, thereby allowing use of the
full road width which would help prevent dangerous passes by vehicles. At
the same time the condition of the road surface needs addressing, I am no
expert but it appears just a localised repair is all that is necessary.

I look forward to receiving a response on this matter and hope that actions
to remedy the problems can be carried out quickly.

Regards,

Stephen, Tameside Resident

They sent a standard reply the next day to say the problem would be investigated. I waited until early May before chasing this up and then received a reply stating that the problem had been investigated and no action was planned. I obviously found this unacceptable so later in May I contacted one of the local councillors for the area and asked him to get involved......

Well, riding to work This Sunday, I discovered that the road and the hedge has been sorted so all-in -all a very good result.

Result! Well done buddy :biggrin:

pshore

Thumbs up Skol. Sometimes we grumble about things and do nothing and no surprise, nothing happens.

It seems a shame to have to get the local councillor involved for such small things. Fair do's that councils are struggling with budgets, but when it is a safety issue they should listen up.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Ah, remember councils can't cut hedges between march and august due to birds.
tbh tho it should have been dealt with before march if its on a road.
;)
pete

BinBag

Excellent stuff!

I'm in Brinnington and my commute takes me to Moston/Chadderton, so I've always avoided that road and headed into Stockport before coming back up Reddish Road. I might try that road now and go through Denton instead - I've always noticed it was a bit overgrown and quite frankly dangerous, as it's a 40mph as well isn't it?

Never done anything about it because I had an alternative route.

potsy

Rambler
I was very pleased this week to see the road has been re-tarmac'd on Ashton road, left hand side as you are going towards Bredbury from the Denton direction before the Horsfield pub.
It has been bad there for a long time, I know 2 guys that have had pinch punctures from the big holes and cracks in the surface, one of them fell off due to it.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I was very pleased this week to see the road has been re-tarmac'd on Ashton road, left hand side as you are going towards Bredbury from the Denton direction before the Horsfield pub.
It has been bad there for a long time, I know 2 guys that have had pinch punctures from the big holes and cracks in the surface, one of them fell off due to it.

If you are talking about the 2 holes that are right in the natural cycling line just outside the horsey field (the field with horses in, not the pub!) I know just where you mean. Not such a problem on my hybrid with 35 section tyres but I definitely avoided them when on the new road bike with 23mm tyres.

potsy

Rambler
If you are talking about the 2 holes that are right in the natural cycling line just outside the horsey field (the field with horses in, not the pub!) I know just where you mean. Not such a problem on my hybrid with 35 section tyres but I definitely avoided them when on the new road bike with 23mm tyres.

No, mine were on the 400 yard section leading up to the pub where I then turn right down thru Brinny ghetto, trouble is trying to look over the shoulder to move out into the right hand lane while trying to avoid the holes/cracks and uneven surface.
Monday they had stripped the surface away but left the road open, there was nowhere to cycle other than the middle of the road :ohmy:

Much better coming home this morning at 6am, almost silky smooth though it hadn't been line marked yet.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I am positively looking forward to riding into work at the next opportunity now, Maybe Saturday night after the Jodd jaunt? I couldn't face it this week after the Sunday night, I felt completely flat and didn't go faster than 15mph where I normally go 20-23mph. Very strange but feeling better now.

BinBag

No, mine were on the 400 yard section leading up to the pub where I then turn right down thru Brinny ghetto, trouble is trying to look over the shoulder to move out into the right hand lane while trying to avoid the holes/cracks and uneven surface.
Monday they had stripped the surface away but left the road open, there was nowhere to cycle other than the middle of the road :ohmy:

Much better coming home this morning at 6am, almost silky smooth though it hadn't been line marked yet.

'Brinny ghetto'!!

I'm gonna make sure the 7 year old snipers are out on your next venture in mate! :tongue:

Fiona N

Veteran
Back in March of this year I submitted the following via the Stockport Council Highways contact page.....

I obviously found this unacceptable so later in May I contacted one of the local councillors for the area and asked him to get involved......

Well, riding to work This Sunday, I discovered that the road and the hedge has been sorted so all-in -all a very good result.

Well done for taking this on :bravo:

I've highlighted the above mention of local councillors - you'll often get a better result by going through your local councillor (where I am, most Highways concerns will be County Council as opposed to Town or District) or even MP (if he's a good constituency worker, anyway) than to the Highways Dept. The elected official will want to get something done whereas the Highways Dept will usually just put it on the pile of stuff to see to when there's time....you can guess the rest.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well done mate.

I've moaned about Dooley Lane in Marple for years, Dan Bank got fixed for subsidence, then they resurfaced Dooley lane recently..whoop - probably wasn't me, but it was a death trap. I used to cycle down there at full speed, middle of the road (40 mph limit) as the first 2m of the road were badly crumbled and a bike swallower.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I sent a thank you message to the councillor involved and he replied today, saying he doesn't often get thanked for such successes. Maybe I should name-and-shame (or name-and-praise in this case!)

"I just want to say thanks for your assistance on this issue. It was a pleasant surprise when riding in to work this week to find that the bad road surface had been repaired to a high standard and the hedges cut back. What a difference. I commute 10 miles in each direction and it was only passing that area that made me nervous and now it is no problem at all. Please pass on my thanks to the highways department if you get chance."

"Dear Steve

Thank you for the “Thank you”

It doesn’t happen very often and it is much appreciated

I will be happy to pass on your thanks to the officers involved

Regards"

Top Bottom