Review of my new Rockrider 5.0

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Praneeth

Hi everyone !!
This a my experience of the Rockrider 5.0

I started cycling about a year ago during the semester holidays of engineering . During that time i had an Bsa Spice my i got during my 7th class
Started with small rider of 5 km and now i daily go 15km and during weekends and holidays 30km. This was time when i decided it was time for an upgrade.
After spending about 3 months convencing my parents to buy me a new bike they finally agreed for a budget of 7k. I was delighted but the joy was cut short when i realised the good ones start from 10k.

Now to choose the bike i need. After weeks of searching the list was
Btwin Rockrider 5.0
Btwin Rockrider 5.0
Herculeus Act 110
Ryder neo
Firefox Roadrunner
and a couple of others this list reduced reastically due to the budget constraints and finally it was down to Act110 and RR5.0. After reading about the troubles of Act 110 the winner was RR 5.0

The next day went to Decathlon, Whitefield to have a TD of the bike. The place was really huge and had all kinda of stuff they also has a ground where you can play football and nets to play cricket. You can try the bike as long as you like inside the premises and no one would stop you. The staff were really nice and answered any queries with a smile. Excellent staff. I really like the way the bike handles compared my old one was very sure that this is going to be my new bike. Again after a week my parents also agreed to spend an extra 3 k and get me the RR5.0

Last week i and my dad went to decathlon and got the bike. My dad wanted a new bike assembled in front of us and delivered but they said that as soon as they recieve the bike they are assembled and put on display. The bike fit in our santro with the ront wheel removed and the back seets folded down. I am 5"6 and went for the large size and medium was small for me. The billing was smooth and simple and there wasre about 4-5 counters to handle the rush. They ask you your details if its your first time to register in their database so that it would be easire the next time and also you can det the history of the items you purchased by providing your phone number that you registered with.

After the billing the bike was taken to the workshop so that it could be checked for any problems

Here are the list of things i got
Rockrider 5.0 L for 8999 ( after 10% discount)
Btwin Plastic bottle cage (black) for 150
Center stand for 150
sp5 cable lock for 450
Btwin multitool for 290

I allready had a hand pump MNP100 and a cable extender which i used for my old bike from sports365(online shop ,Good Experience over there as well).Helmet and gloves and other stuff i would get them next month.

Went for a couple of rides and i fell in love with the way the bike handles. I had had to adjust a few things like the Front derailleur as it wasnt shifting sommthly to the highest gear and the tension in the rear derailleur. But after that the rides were smooth, breaking was effective.
Due to the low position of the handle bar my had started to hurt and became numb after finishing a 30km ride and my bums were hurting but i believe i'll eventually get adjusted to the after a couple of weeks since my old bike had a wide saddle. I maintain the tyre pressure on both tyres of 45psi. The paint job was excellent . There was also a screeching noise which the rear brakes made which i rectified after watching a couple of youtube videos. I ' toed-in' the brakes and the noises were gone.

Problem i faced that i rectified them
1. The chain was not shifting to the highest chainring and the chain was rubbing against the Front deraillure. Adjusted the H-L screws and cable tension.
2. Adjusted the cable tension of the rear derailleur as the shifting was not crisp
3. Toed-in the front and rear brakes to eliminate the screeching noises while breaking
4. Lubed the chain and other moving parts ( not a problem)

here are some pics...

09062014497.jpg

09062014498.jpg

09062014501.jpg

The tyres were not semi slick and were of DSI make, madde in Sri Lanka. Decathlon said they stopped coming with the kenda tyres. The aluminium rims with 36 spokes. Inflate upto 40-50psi is printed on the tyre. I maintain 45psi on both the tyres.

09062014506.jpg

The grip shifters with aluminium break levers. I have to say the grips were quite hard. Definitely need gloves if u plan on going a long way

09062014499.jpg

The different tyre treads 26x2.0 .Maintain 45psi

09062014502.jpg

The front wheel gets a quick release system(so does the saddle to play with its height)

09062014494.jpg

The black bottle holder along with the hand pump holder

09062014504.jpg

09062014505.jpg

The front and rear derailleur. Till now i have not used 1 in front. Mostly used 2-2,3,4,5,6 and a very few times on slopes 3-5,6

09062014508.jpg

The saddle. A bit hard for me and i'll get adjusted soon

09062014496.jpg

And the centre stand has adjustable height screw at the bottom

09062014514.jpg

There were small holders for the cabels so that they wouldnt rub against the frame

09062014511.jpg

The MRP sticker which says 10999

09062014522.jpg

The holders with their respective contents. There are no screws to place another bottle holder on the frame.

09062014513.jpg

The zero emission sticker bring a smile on my face

There were also stickes which said Btwin design and Made in India ? they were small and couldnt get my mobile to focus on them properly

09062014520.jpg

The btwin multitool has 8 tools 6/5/4/3/2/1 mm allen key , a flat and star screw drivers . Good build Quality and a little heavy, we can understand why !!(available in Blue and Black )

Two days before i got my new bike i also completed 1000km on my BSA Spice. Here's a pic of my old bike. Its still strong

And here ends the review.
Hope you all liked it and i would accept any requests and sugessitions.
Thanks
Praneeth

glad your happy with it , all you need to do now is :bicycle:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
The RR 5.0 is a fine bike (we have a 5.0 and a 5.2 in the fleet).

The weakest component are those tyres. They're hard, plasticy with little wet weather grip and have a nasty tendency to split if you get a puncture.
The wheels are also prone to trouble, but this can be reduced by regular maintenance, and making sure the bearing grease is regularly replaced.

Top Bottom