England : Warwickshire Ride to Warwicks 2014?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
That's a decent 'there and back'. Got any Stonehenge type stuff around there...or other suitable landmark? :whistle:

Yes, a there and back again, a hobbits tale, would be rather nice to aim for.

Interested too.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thanks for the responses, very encouraging. I'll start pondering routes and so forth, and checking with my friends in Warwickshire what dates are possible, then I'll wait for the FNRttC calendar before deciding a date, and coming back to the forum in the new year.

I'm still torn between daytime and night-time. I think from the point of view of organising things and thinking what could go wrong, day would be a easier, and having a separate pick up north of the M25 would make it available to those not wishing to slog through urban London.

I'd prefer to go on a night ride personally, but I think I'd probably prefer to organise a day ride.

Kies

As it's the first one I would agree a day ride might be better. It can be done as a night ride in the summer of 2014 :smile:

Wobblers

Euthermic
I think I'd be interested in this if we could arrange to meet in some random location on the route somewhere east of Banbury - it worked quite well with CoG and Adam when CoG cycled up to Birmingham. And it's a nice distance for me to cycle back to Brum after.

gbs

Guru
I vote for daytime and will watch the thread more closely when you decide a date.

martint235

Dog on a bike
If only there were some sort of medieval castle nearby, eh? :smile:

Of course, there's always the Rollright Stones if you fancy a not so small diversion via Banbury...
There's a castle???

I'm with 'Teef and Davy, it's got the makings of a there and back ride. Not sure what next year will be like for me yet but I'll hoist a notional interested (in either day or night)

Wobblers

Euthermic
Yep interested if you are slow enough. Might go for a Birmingham extension (paging @McWobble) and the cheap £6 tickets back to London.

You'd be welcome - as long as you don't mind a few random detours on the way back to Birmingham. As an aside, Chiltern also do the cheap £6 tickets from Warwick for anyone who doesn't fancy braving Birmingham (or my navigational skills... )

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Well, I've decided that this should be a Saturday day ride. I don't think I'm up to organising a night ride, and I'm planning to stay overnight at the destination which rules out Sunday. It will (if it comes to pass) be three rides, with two potential pick up points: Berkhamsted and Buckingham (or near to).

Super early start in London-Berkhamstead (or H. Hempsted or similar). (~30 miles) for coffee. I suspect I may be alone for this leg.
Berkhamstead-Buckingham area (~30 miles) for lunch at a pub/cafe
Buckingham area-Marton (~30 miles) for pies.
And then a 4th ride (but not for me) from Marton to nearest railway station (Rugby, Cov or Leamington Spa) (~10 miles)

I'm toying vaguely with Sat May 31.

Top Bottom