RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2015) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I'll sign up, but will reset my expectation of actually getting a place to very low.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I hope I'll get a ballott place, but if I dont I'll do it for charity, it's an event that I enjoy too much to miss.

I might take that route, I have a customer base I can hassle for sponsorship, its just I feel a little awkward doing so...I've never actually been sponsored to do anything! lol

Huff n Puff

I did it last year and didn't get in through the ballot this year.
I refuse to ask people to sponsor me just to fund my hobbies. Especially as I suspect that most money raised by big charities just goes back in to promoting themselves and admin costs. I have been sponsored before, but only for a very small charity that used all of the money raised directly for the medical work it supported, as nobody running it got paid. The other problem is that compared to riding audaxes and foreign sportives over mountains, asking for sponsorship for a relatively soft event like Ride London smacks of 'please pay for my entry' by sponsoring me'!
I get the impression that Ride London is going to be more about charity each year. Shame really, because it truly is a great sportive.
So, ballot or nothing for me.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Are ballot places transferable? If they are then I will enter the ballot and give the place to someone who didn't get a place.

Reason I won't do the ride? Plastic hat rule.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[

no. non transferrable

Oh well...

michaelcycle

I'm entering again for sure.

If I don't get a place through the ballot I will still consider a charity place. Sponsoring your mates is just the new way people give to a good cause these days.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I think the issues of whether you will or won't do it for charity is a matter of attitude and how one approaches it. I personally don't have a problem with asking folk for money, people will either support you or they won't, I won't make a judgement on them, I don't care. I'll ask them any way. In my experience some of my closest friends did not support my charity on this occasion, yet folk I barley know and in one instance this time I had never heard of were very generous.

My wife and I raised over £1200 for DEBRA, money which will help the various causes that DEBRA deal with.

Next year, if don't get a ballot place I will do a charity place, even if I have to sponsor myself for the whole amount.

Last edited:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I'm definitely going to try for the ballot.
I want to give friends and family a year off from sponsoring me, so if I don't get in the ballot, I'll see if there's a charity that will let me ride for a single donation from me. I'd be willing to pay £100 to ride the event, so maybe a charity will be willing to go for that.

Top Bottom