Rigid forks for a Giant XTC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikerida

Hi,
Getting back into regular cycling after an 8 year break. With winter riding in mind, I will be using my Giant XTC3 mountain bike with the MPH disc brakes which I am hybridising a bit. As nearly all of my riding is on-road (don't have time for all the cleaning and maintenance for off-road any more) I would like to swap the suspension forks for rigid. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I need to buy for compatibility with the bike. I know it's a bit old now, but hope there is something still out there.
Pete

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi Bikerida and :welcome:.

I'm no kind of expert on forks but I believe you need to choose one that matches the geometry of your suspension fork. Examples here (link) from On One and there are others available.

Note: I'm presuming that you have a 1 1/8" steerer as most bikes do now.

bpsmith

Veteran
Same here. Just got my first road bike, but thinking of doing the same to an old MTB too, ready for Winter.

Needs to be relatively cheap though.

Ern1e

Über Member
Hi,
Getting back into regular cycling after an 8 year break. With winter riding in mind, I will be using my Giant XTC3 mountain bike with the MPH disc brakes which I am hybridising a bit. As nearly all of my riding is on-road (don't have time for all the cleaning and maintenance for off-road any more) I would like to swap the suspension forks for rigid. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I need to buy for compatibility with the bike. I know it's a bit old now, but hope there is something still out there.
Pete
Ok I am no expert on this but why not just go and find a nice cheap hard frame hybrid and leave the Giant as is,lets face it we all end up owning at least two bikes (or more) I have a hard frame mtb and would love some front suspension for it but went out and bought another bike with it so now have best of both worlds lol.

djb1971

Legendary Member
If its a standard threadless steerer just buy the forks to match it and get the suspension correction version for 80mm/100mm/120mm or whatever travel your forks currently have. Check to see if the front brake calliper is post or is mount, you may need an adapter £5-£10.

Remove handlebars, stem, spacers from old forks. Drop the forks out, measure the steerer tube. Remove the crown race carefully from the old forks, refit all of this to the new forks after measuring twice and cutting the new steerer once! You may also need a steerer bung or new starnut fitted to the new forks.

It may be wise to check the bearings in the headset while you're at it and either replace or regrease. Pop the top cap back on once the stem etc is fitted and adjust the headset, job done. Half an hour if you've got to cut the steerer tube.

I don't think I've missed anything out, on the phone so it's a PITA typing!

I've just changed my rebas to exotic carbon forks. They are approx. £100 but they do an aluminium version for £50-£60. On one also do a decent cromo fork too.

Venod

Eh up
I have been running carbon forks on my XTC 4 for a number of years same frame as yours the forks make the bike into a really good bridleway/road machine I still like it despite having 3 more bikes to choose from, the forks are by Exotic cycles I think they are on ebay, there is a pic of my bike in the show us your giant thread, I would normally give you links o forks & thread but I am typing this via the TV & its doing my head in.

Top Bottom