RIP David Duffield

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

Apparently, David Duffield has just died, following a fall of some kind. Gutted to hear this - him and Phil Liggett were the voices of the 90s for me...

iandg

Legendary Member

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
My better half (not well-up in cycling lore) asked him across the dinner table whether he cycled much – his face was a picture. He was a formidable trikie in his day, and broke a few records.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Oh, that IS sad news! Normally, I would say that 84 wasn't a bad age, but that is a horrible way to go.

I was thinking about him just the other day and wondering how he was. It has been a few years since he (was?) retired from commentating for Eurosport.

I know quite a few people who didn't like his meandering and excitable commentaries, but I rather liked his style. I used to get a colleague to record the cycling for me until I got a satellite system of my own.

I wrote a little tribute to him 3 years ago - HERE.

Sad news, RIP

pawl

Legendary Member
Oh, that IS sad news! Normally, I would say that 84 wasn't a bad age, but that is a horrible way to go.

I was thinking about him just the other day and wondering how he was. It has been a few years since he (was?) retired from commentating for Eurosport.

I know quite a few people who didn't like his meandering and excitable commentaries, but I rather liked his style. I used to get a colleague to record the cycling for me until I got a satellite system of my own.

I wrote a little tribute to him 3 years ago - HERE.

Agree sad news.
I always enjoyed his commentaries .
RIP Duffers.

aj101

TURN YOUR GRANNY TO THE WALL
It was so much fun getting these original Duffieldisms back online a couple of months ago and so sad that David has gone today.
It's been very touching to read all of the tributes to him as the day has unfolded. He really did bring so much happiness to so many people with his distinctive style of commentary. A great Brit truly missed.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Duffers was the most enjoyable commentator on any sport I've ever heard. (Excepting perhaps Stuart Hall's hilarious It's a Knockout commentaries, but they've gone rather sour now, weren't exactly sport and the subject matter nothing compared with cycle racing.)

His delivery, humour, countless sayings, witticisms, rambling travelogues and ability to dispense endless facts about all manner of subjects were utterly superb, and never failed to make races both fascinating and enormously entertaining. It didn't matter if he missed the break while he scoured his infopack about Chateau Cinqsinges, or if he misidentified someone or misread a move as the race passed L'Eglise de La Plume de Ma Tante - he would always follow up with another great one-liner or absurdly brilliant and irrelevant/trivial anecdote, and could keep it all going for hours.

I've missed him ever since he was sidelined from the big tv commentaries, and am just glad to have had so many race-viewing hours brightened by his presence and voice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom