RIP Phil Hughes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So sad :sad:

green1

Über Member
That's the modern game too though - in limited overs, you can't afford to be stood at the crease giving the other side dot balls, certainly not at the top level.
how many batsman would play the shots without a helmet, knowing if they miss it they are in serious trouble? It is wide of me offside I'm not adverse to trying to carve it over point, but if it's on the button I'm not taking the risk. If you don't have the safety blanket, you keep your eyes on the ball and get out of the way of it. In the days before helmets there were not many compulsive hookers now it seems unusual for a batsman not to hook.

Last edited:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
how many batsman would play the shots without a helmet, knowing if they miss it they are in serious trouble? It is wide of me offside I'm not adverse to trying to carve it over point, but if it's on the button I'm not taking the risk.
Fair point - I don't think I'd add anything to my post you quoted, and I feel slightly uneasy about extending the discussion further in this particular thread.

Wafer

Veteran
Very sad news :sad:
Rivalries dissolve when this kind of thing happens, terrible experience to go through for the other players and the bowler particularly. Thoughts with everyone involved.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Bad, very bad & a sad time for all most closely connected to Phil & the incident.

Maybe helmet design needs revisiting, advancements are being made all the time in cycling protection for head & rest of body, why not for cricket or hockey etc ?

AndyRM

XOXO
Bad, very bad & a sad time for all most closely connected to Phil & the incident.

Maybe helmet design needs revisiting, advancements are being made all the time in cycling protection for head & rest of body, why not for cricket or hockey etc ?

On the helmet design thing, I read an article which suggested he'd have been protected by this years design of the helmet:

Phil_Hughes-helmet_3117741b.jpg

Attachments

• Phil_Hughes-helmet_3117741b.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 24

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The new design still leaves an area at the rear unprotected.
As I understand it, that area of the neck is always going to be vulnerable, due to the batsman's stance, they bend over, but keep their neck vertical, meaning they have to limit prortection at the rear of the helmet, otherwise it resticts movement as they take guard.
I expect manufacturers will now try to improve protecion at the base of the skull / top of theneck

SteCenturion

I am your Father
On the helmet design thing, I read an article which suggested he'd have been protected by this years design of the helmet:

Maybe RM ?

I kind of agree with the post from Beebo below yours though.

I haven't played for 2 decades now so I am not best placed to offer up alternatives but surely the sport & science/designers can improve things, I mean, we have neck braces for MTB, auto inflating jacket protection in Moto GP etc.

Attachments

• Phil_Hughes-helmet_3117741b.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 34

gavgav

Guru
My Radio Alarm Clock woke me up with this headline this morning and as a fellow cricketer I had a sickening feeling hit me straight away.

Just devastating for his family, friends and especially Sean Abbott. How that guy must feel I don't think any of us could comprehend.

Saw Phil playing for Worcester a couple of times in 2012 and he was a superb talent.

RIP Hughesy

Top Bottom