Road bike tyres losing small amount of pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
I try to ride everyday or failing that every other day & before each ride I always pump my tyres up , I've found that 120 psi works well for me , feels comfortable & the bike rolls well on that pressure

The reason that I ask though is every time I check them they're never still at 120 psi , more like 100-110 psi after say a 50/60 Mile ride , is this normal for tyres to loose a small amount of pressure after each ride ?

Tin Pot

Guru
Happens to me

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Ok cool sounds normal then thanks for the replies , I religously check them & adjust before each ride anyway :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think Presta valves lose air relatively easily, especially once a bit of air has leaked through the tube, as pressure is the main thing holding the valve closed (see http://i.stack.imgur.com/VBXn5.jpg ), unlike Schrader (which has a spring that's pushed down during inflation - see https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Schrader_valve_opening_and_closing_on_a_tire.gif ) or best of all Woods (which has a spring or rubber and is designed so that air shouldn't ever come out the way it goes in, see https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/Dunlopventiel.jpg - it inflates as-is and you unscrew a plug only to deflate it). I'm gradually moving my hybrids and roadsters over to Woods because they work better and it means I can just use the road/Presta pump heads on everything.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
You always lose a small amount of pressure when removing the pump chuck. Try checking them again just after you've pumped them up. To get my tyres to 100psi I pump them to 105 to allow for this, you will then lose a few more psi overnight and as raleighnut says above, a few more when you next attach the pump.

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
These standard wheels on my Defy advanced 2

image.jpg
image.jpg
What tyres are they? I don't pump my tyres up much more than 100 psi.

Slioch

Guru
I think it's normal for high pressure tyres.

My mountain bike tyres at 60psi only need topping up once per week, but my road bike tyres at 110psi need topping up before every ride.

Lonestar

Veteran
No.My Marathon +'s are fine.Every now and again I have to pump them up.More on the audax as I don't use it every day.Strangely enough.

Tim Hall

You always lose a small amount of pressure when removing the pump chuck. Try checking them again just after you've pumped them up. To get my tyres to 100psi I pump them to 105 to allow for this, you will then lose a few more psi overnight and as raleighnut says above, a few more when you next attach the pump.
I'd say you don't lose any air from the tyre when you remove the chuck. The valve gets forced open by the higher pressure in the pump. You stop pumping when the (wildly inaccurate) gauge gets to 100psi. The valve closes, but there's still air in the connector above atmospheric pressure. You take the chuck off and it's this air you can hear escaping.

Top Bottom