Road racing team tactics & strategy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alp1950

Rising to the challenge of dare to be different, perhaps someone could elaborate on team tactics in road racing so that we have greater insight into what is going on when we watch these races on TV.

Several things have struck me since starting to watch a bit of road racing recently. In particular, given that cyclists are said to be somewhat single-minded, individualistic, & dare I say selfish I was surprised to see to what extent road racing involves team tactics with the aim of putting just one of their number in the lead at the end. I wondered how the psychology of this works- how is it that professional cyclists are happy to play second fiddle to the star of their team, who inevitably receives the plaudits (& presumably the fame & financial rewards that come with success)?

Another question- apologies if obvious- but I have been intrigued by the way that one or more cyclists seem able to break away from a group, and in a very short period of time open up a reasonable gap. Is this purely a matter of sprinting, and why is it that the gap is often difficult to maintain- does it take so much out of the rider that they are effectively "blown"? And for that matter what is happening when the pack organise a chase to reel in the breakaway. Related to these points, I wondered to what extent cyclists are working at the limits of their physical abilities, and to what extent they keep something in reserve during the race.

yenrod

Alp when you ride in the group your at say 75% of effort but when in a break its pushing maximal effort.

Its easy for the bunch to chase down the break as there are more of them BUT thats only if they work together. Which in itself is a whole load of politics in the bunch - ie who favours who / teams and who has done favours for whomever; led them out in a sprint even though they aint on their team !

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Riders have to be happy to work their team leaders because they are not capable of winning that particular event themselves. Their wages and future employment prospects are dictated by how useful they are as team members.

Regarding breaking away, most big pro races are well over 100 miles long. The peleton cannot ride flat out for the full distance so it is always possible for someone to get off the front of the pack. The art of it is going at the right time with the right people, too early and it will be difficult to stay away for the full distance, if any of the race favourites are present then the other teams will launch a strong chase.

walker

in cycle races you have 3 types of riders on a team, Sprinters, climbers and Domestiques, (We could break down the domestique but for simplicity we won't bother)

the sprinters are you no.1 man on the flatter courses the climbers will change their role to domestique for the day to protect their sprinter/s, vise versa for hill stages although many sprinters can't climb for toffee.

the domestique is the rider who does everything for the number 1 man, fetch bottle, lead out, offer his/her bike in times of crashes etc. you will find these guys are good alrounders but not quite capable of winning a race in that present stage/day/year. (i.e. too young, too old, too tired)

the reason a rider will jump off the front will be for many reasons, one to try and draw out the leader of another team to wear them out so his own man has a chance at the end. also it could be to get extra points to win the sprinters, KoM, Points Jersey.

Who ever wins a race normally shares it out with his collegues of that event.

Top Bottom