Road World Championships (Spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thom

____
The BBC should leave pro cycling well alone and stick to bmx and triathlon and stuff
Maybe they should just do it better - if you put it on the BBC 1, a fair few people see it - stick it on Eurosport and only the cognoscenti.
Some of the criticism sounds like you don't like opening out coverage and letting the plebs in...

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Maybe they should just do it better - if you put it on the BBC 1, a fair few people see it - stick it on Eurosport and only the cognoscenti.
Some of the criticism sounds like you don't like opening out coverage and letting the plebs in...
You're right, I would rather they improved, but they've had a good while of increased popularity and it's not getting any better.

I would be happier if they showed the Eurosport feed on BBC1

Ganymede

Veteran
You're right, I would rather they improved, but they've had a good while of increased popularity and it's not getting any better.

I would be happier if they showed the Eurosport feed on BBC1
Come late to the commentary. I'm afraid I had important things to do today but the Commentators v CCers punch up has entertained me retrospectively. Thanks all!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Good call by Marmion - even Inner Ring didn't give him a chance, even when it was suggested over there that Kwiat might be a possibility. A worthy winner and I hope someone who will do justice to the jersey next season.
Are you hinting that Rui Costa didn't exactly do ANYTHING this year? Cos you might have a point! (I don't think the Tour de Suisse and a few 2nd places counts for that much, he didn't exactly show much of himself this year...)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
For those of you who like/understand Strava, here's Kwiat's ride http://www.strava.com/activities/200661439

fimm

Veteran
Questions:
Could/should the British team have done anything different, rather than putting all their eggs in the Ben Swift basket? I understand that Kennaugh was off the front in order to force other teams to chase while allowing the British not to, but would it have been better to go with a two-pronged "Swift for the sprint but Kennaugh to see if he can do something like Kwiat. did" strategy?

How come there were still lots of Italians & Dutch there near the end? I understand the strategy of a rider working until they are tired out and then stopping but it seemed to me that a other teams did better at keeping more team members there until the end. (On the other hand, it worked for Poland...)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
@fimm
I suppose it shows that there's more than one way to skin a cat. Poland and Italy did a lot of the legwork to pull back the break and it worked for one of them - was it a great masterplan or did Kwiat just make a great opportunist break? I suspect the latter although the break needed catching.
The GB team was an enigma again - Swift was possibly their best bet but it didn't help the cause that, according to Rod Ellingworth, GT, Froome and the Yates bros weren't on their A game. Given that Millar doesn't have an A game these days it was a lightweight team again. Kennaugh, Rowe and Cummings to do the work. Swift is unlikely to win against the top riders of his ilk though.
As in many races the chase group of Gilbert & co left it to one man (Pip,) since there were 2 Belgians, and therefore gave away any chance of their own in the process. As Gilbert said, it's inexplicable why Gerrans, Gallopin, Valverde etc wouldn't help as you might as welcome tenth as second. There's only one world champion.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Kwiatkowski's been my favourite cyclist (aside from hero worship of Cav) for a couple of years now. I was so pleased to see him win. He had a great start to the year with a hatful of podium finishes, but it was painful to watch him start so well - so close to taking yellow on the cobbled stage - and gradually fall to bits later on in the TdF, and then see to things go awry in the ToB.

Top Bottom