Roadside mobile phone detectors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
But it allows the network to prove that it was actually in use, and which way the call was going at the time. Its also how they use the mobile network to track your mobile. Automatic network selection is a constant seeking out of the strongest signal. But as the towers/masts are in fixed known locations, triangulation is easy. See the Volvo cyclist detection system, good for within nine feet.
I think we're talking about different things. I dont dispute that automatic network selection might do what you say it does, but I would be surprised if manual network selection caused you to be locked to a particular tower - it just limits you to towers controlled by a particular network.

classic33

Leg End Member
I think we're talking about different things. I dont dispute that automatic network selection might do what you say it does, but I would be surprised if manual network selection caused you to be locked to a particular tower - it just limits you to towers controlled by a particular network.
As does manual. But its the constant stream of information sent to & from the handset that automatic selection that makes triangulation easier.
Its one reason that maps are available on current handsets.

Top Bottom