Rohloff Hub Stolen London 17/1/13

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Rohloff hub in my Thorn Nomad was cut out from my back wheel (ie all the spokes were cut and the hub removed) on Thursday 17th Jan 2013 while it was securely locked to a stand in Dalston, east London.

The serial number is 111878. It is stamped on the hub.

I bought it from SJS Cycles on 18/11/09 and have all the warranty & receipt documentation.

Please, if anyone hears of 'second hand' Rohloff hubs being offered for sale, let me know.

I am offering £100 reward to anyone who returns the hub, or gives me information leading directly to its return.

A black Brooks B17 with copper rivets and (my customisation) pink lacing holding the underflaps together, and two Shimano XTR BL-M970 V brake levers were stolen at the same time.

spamshopper@mac.com
@lyricalcyclist

jim55

Guru
was this while the bike was locked up and left i take it ?if so the thief musta been working away dissasembling it ,the saddle and hub would come off fairly easily ,but the grips would need taken off i presume to loosen the levers/cut cables and taken off ,he was obv equipped

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
The Rohloff hub in my Thorn Nomad was cut out from my back wheel (ie all the spokes were cut and the hub removed) on Thursday 17th Jan 2013 while it was securely locked to a stand in Dalston, east London.

The serial number is 111878. It is stamped on the hub.

I bought it from SJS Cycles on 18/11/09 and have all the warranty & receipt documentation.

Please, if anyone hears of 'second hand' Rohloff hubs being offered for sale, let me know.

I am offering £100 reward to anyone who returns the hub, or gives me information leading directly to its return.

A black Brooks B17 with copper rivets and (my customisation) pink lacing holding the underflaps together, and two Shimano XTR BL-M970 V brake levers were stolen at the same time.

spamshopper@mac.com
@lyricalcyclist
Oh bugger! That's not just a random scrote nicking a bike , it's someone who knows what they are looking for, and worse still a cyclist! :-(

jim55

Guru
its a bit late now but iv got a brooks on my fixed .and i glued a ball bearing in the allen key hole in the seat post and clamp ,cant be tampered with and can b dissolved(and therefore removed )with acetone ,but the spokes cut :cry: not much you can do about that or the levers ,gutted ,

mossj88

As your in London it might be worth a trip to Brick Lane Market many bike parts are sold on the stalls, but as the others say it doesn't sound like a random yobbo trying to make a quick buck.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
What a scumbag! Don't forget to keep an eye on Ebay. Last year a London-based Ebay seller had about 10-15 used Brooks saddles auctions running concurrently on Ebay. It raised eyebrows in the cycling community, with a lot of people thinking 10-15 used Brooks saddles was an improbably large number to be a genuine sale.

Just as a matter of curiosity, had you been locking it at the same location day after day?

sabian92

Über Member
The fact it was cut out probably means it's been stolen to order, not to be sold to the public especially as a hub like that is what, €800?

Sorry mate. Shame it was had off with but I highly doubt you'll get it back unless you check every single one you see.

I had to google it to see what one was never heard of one. looks like a beautiful peice of kit, really gutted for you, terrible that it was stolen in such a manner.

sabian92

Über Member
I had to google it to see what one was never heard of one. looks like a beautiful peice of kit, really gutted for you, terrible that it was stolen in such a manner.

Bloody expensive bit of kit too, it costs twice plus a bit more what my whole bike cost!

e-rider

crappy member
the reality is that any expensive bike/bit of kit, will get stolen if you leave it locked up in a public place. I have 3 bikes, two of which I simply would NEVER leave anywhere public at all, EVER!

mossj88

Your a barrel of fun aren't you e-rider (although I agree with you, if I thief wants your bike or bike part, they'll take it)..

On the other hand I found something interesting out, if you email Rohloff the serial number of the hub they will check it against any hubs that come in for servicing I'm told around 50% of hubs reported to them get recovered (see the comments on this bike)

Sterba

Über Member
Sorry to say this, but you should have had a Pitlock skewer through the axle, I think there is a version specially made for Rohlhoff hubs. Or maybe they would have then just cut through the frame as well, the bastards!

Crankarm

Guru
Sorry to say this, but you should have had a Pitlock skewer through the axle, I think there is a version specially made for Rohlhoff hubs. Or maybe they would have then just cut through the frame as well, the b******s!

Agreed. Ba****d(s) thieves.

Take saddle with you.

Surely some one saw something! Cutting spokes should make most people think there was something odd going on.

Very sorry to hear this lyrical cyclist.

A clear warning to others - London bike thieves clearly very well educated, best really to use a bike that really looks like nowt if you are going to leave it locked around town.

Please don't take my comment the wrong way.

Bubbly

Oh how very upsetting for you - lowest of the low scumbags - when I'm in Truro I normally take my back wheel with me - one day I came back I came back to find the drive chain stolen - luckily there was a Halfords there and this lovely guy removed the excess links for me from the new chain I bought. I think somebody must have been having a laugh :sad:

Top Bottom