Roubaix - hit and run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Ive been involved in a hit and run driver about 12.30 today. He was turning left and I went into the side of him as he suddenly stopped to let a lady with a pram cross the road.

Nothing is broken of fractured but i have a lot of pain in my right wrist and leg... I asked the driver politely to pull over so i could get his insurance details but he drove off....

None of the witnesses could give me a reading of his number plate and the driver shot off people i could get it. Luckily though, I had turned my gopro on so I have his plate.

Ive ran the plate through the dvla and he is insured. Im about to get myself cleaned up and give BC a call and see if they can offer me any advice before i take the camera footage to the police and have them chase the guy.

Anyone have any handy tips to give me? whats that website that gives you some details of the cars if you run their plate through it? (not the dvla - Zero something....) Its going to be a while before i can return to work....

Im also guessing its not wise to upload footage to the public domain till ive reported it to the police as it will become a criminal investigation since he failed to stop.

Sorry to hear this, at least you got the evidence on your camera. After 11 yrs of commuting I finally gave in and started riding with one this week. I hope I don't need it. Surprised you did not call the police straight away but you'll probably get the same result, which I hope is a good one. A lot of pain could mean a fracture unless you had it xray'd you have not said whether you went to hospital. Yes I would not upload any vids till the case is done and dusted.

I'm guessing your primary aim is to make sure any unforeseen expenses are covered and the driver's liability isn't compromised if you need compensation - in which case your footage is more valuable kept private for now. Countering any initial denials or lies from the driver with the footage can work very powerfully in your favour.
If you get to the point (or it is your priority from the outset) where you are pushing for the police to take appropriate action, publishing the video can be helpful and doesn't necessarily compromise any investigation or prosecution, although this has to be played deftly by ear according to the circumstances.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Thanks everyone, Im just about getting ready to head to A&E now.
Sorry to hear this, at least you got the evidence on your camera. After 11 yrs of commuting I finally gave in and started riding with one this week. I hope I don't need it. Surprised you did not call the police straight away but you'll probably get the same result, which I hope is a good one. A lot of pain could mean a fracture unless you had it xray'd you have not said whether you went to hospital. Yes I would not upload any vids till the case is done and dusted.

I was in shock - I tried to get the guys details but he drove off like i said. I dont think he would of hung around if i had called the police

Uploading the footage to a password protected site or one where you can control access can be useful. I have on occasion needed to carry several formats, versions and links to different streams in order to allow the various people involved in a case to have access to the footage. You also want to have several archived copies straightaway. Don't be surprised if your media is seized as evidence, it is conceivable that some officers may attempt to seize the camera. Sometimes there are procedures where a force deem that necessary, and then sometimes it is used as a tool to dissuade making an accusation. It helps if you are ahead of the game.
Heal up, but get photos and reports on your injuries first!

Shaun

Founder
@RoubaixCube sounds terrible. Call the police to report it. Get yourself to A&E. And whilst you're waiting in A&E write an account of it while it is still fresh in your mind. Pen, paper or mobile, or even here in a PM to me that you can access later when you get back home.

Good luck and I hope you're not too seriously hurt.

Cheers,
Shaun

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
@RoubaixCube sounds terrible. Call the police to report it. Get yourself to A&E. And whilst you're waiting in A&E write an account of it while it is still fresh in your mind. Pen, paper or mobile, or even here in a PM to me that you can access later when you get back home.

Good luck and I hope you're not too seriously hurt.

Cheers,
Shaun

Thank you. Ive just called the police and reported it. Was given a reference number and told to take the footage to the station so they could take more details.... For now its off to A&E after i eat a sandwich... im f**kin starvin.

::EDIT::

my right hand feels a little fractured... Im desperate to get a second opinion on my footage though

For now its off to A&E after i eat a sandwich... im f**kin starvin.
If you haven't eaten it, hold off. If urgent surgery is indicated (unlikely as that is) then they will have to delay if you have just eaten - or it is more risky

GWS and good luck.

Edit Bugger. Too late. Probably not a problem. I walked into A&E and they immediately gave me pain killers. One look was enough to say I wasn't going to need surgery.

Top Bottom