Roubaix - hit and run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Was the driver ahead and stopped having started to turn or overtook and then promptly turned (left hook)? How big was the gap between cyclist and driver when driver started to turn if known? Was the driver indicating the turn?

Sounds very much like the classic MGIF left hook to me, although that is subjective as obvs we haven't seen the video.
Get in touch we BC if you are a member asap.
steve

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Was the driver ahead and stopped having started to turn or overtook and then promptly turned (left hook)? How big was the gap between cyclist and driver when driver started to turn if known? Was the driver indicating the turn?

Sounds very much like the classic MGIF left hook to me, although that is subjective as obvs we haven't seen the video.
Get in touch we BC if you are a member asap.
steve

It wasnt a left hook - He indicated left but did not complete his turn

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Had the driver overtaken then left enough room ? You've got to be careful as the driver is entitled to stop if they need to allow someone to cross. You need to be clear that there was or was not enough room. If you had expected him to clear the junction, then you may be at fault. The key will be the driver passing and not allowing room.

jarlrmai

Veteran
So you hit his right side as he came out of the junction then stopped when you were anticipating him moving into the traffic lane and then continuing?

Or it sounds more like you were following him and expecting him to clear the junction but he stopped before exiting the road in which case you should have been slowing and giving room incase he needed to stop?

Last edited:
OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Had the driver overtaken then left enough room ? You've got to be careful as the driver is entitled to stop if they need to allow someone to cross. You need to be clear that there was or was not enough room. If you had expected him to clear the junction, then you may be at fault. The key will be the driver passing and not allowing room.

So you hit his right side as he came out of the junction then stopped when you were anticipating him moving into the traffic lane and then continuing?

Or it sounds more like you were following him and expecting him to clear the junction but he stopped before exiting the road in which case you should have been slowing and giving room incase he needed to stop?

He didnt overtake - he was in front of me all along. I anticipated his turn but i didnt not anticipate him stopping to let a pedestrian cross and the position he stopped left his entire car in the bus lane. I slammed on the brakes as it was wet, i still ended up smashing into the left side of him

I spoke to my dad whose been driving for years and even he says its my fault - Best thing i can do is speak to the police now about driving off and call BC, speak to their legal team, forward the video to them and see if they think theres anything to be made of it.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
He didnt overtake - he was in front of me all along. I anticipated his turn but i didnt not anticipate him stopping to let a pedestrian cross and the position he stopped left his entire car in the bus lane. I slammed on the brakes as it was wet, i still ended up smashing into the left side of him

I spoke to my dad whose been driving for years and even he says its my fault - Best thing i can do is speak to the police now about driving off and call BC, speak to their legal team, forward the video to them and see if they think theres anything to be made of it.

If you were in a bus/cycle lane (Lane 1) and he was turning left across your path from Lane 2, then I have sympathy with you. The driver should have ensured that he could complete his manoeuvre without impeding traffic in Lane 1. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have behaved the same way if you'd been a bus.

Of course it all comes down to how far ahead of you he was when he made his turn. The fact that he legged it suggests to me that his documentation is not is order, so I'd press on with the police.

GC

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Well... that was rather disappointing.

Walked in there quoting the reference i was given and was told i had to fill out a form (207?) that gets sent to a different department that deals with traffic offenses.

So off i went... Had £1.50 in my pocket so i bought some icecream... what a result

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Well... that was rather disappointing.

Walked in there quoting the reference i was given and was told i had to fill out a form (207?) that gets sent to a different department that deals with traffic offenses.

So off i went... Had £1.50 in my pocket so i bought some icecream... what a result
You were warned not to expect too much help from them.

£1.50 would have bought a two pint tub of ice cream to enjoy..

Origamist

Legendary Member

It sounds like you saw the car indicate left, expected him to complete the turn and clear the bus lane, but you braked too late or not hard enough to avoid the collision when the driver stopped to let a pedestrian cross. Is that a fair summary?

Top Bottom