Roubaix - hit and run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Not if he owns the company.
Especially if he owns the company.

"That claim from last year where we you refused to co-operate with us? Would you like to co-operate with us, or would you like to accept this rather substantial premium increase?"

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
It sounds like you saw the car indicate left, expected him to complete the turn and clear the bus lane, but you braked too late or not hard enough to avoid the collision when the driver stopped to let a pedestrian cross. Is that a fair summary?

I braked so hard but the road was wet, I question myself constantly when watching the footage over and over again what the hell was i thinking, I dont think it was a lapse of concentration or judgement.

I think the problem was partially exacerbated by the fact that i was running with new kool stop brake pads. While they were a lot better in the dry than they pads they replaced, they probably didnt have enough 'burn-in' time to reach their full grip when it came to braking. I just kept sliding forward and there was nothing i could do.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's happened, going over it and trying to work out what you could have done isn't going to change that.

Hindsight is wonderful, we could all do with it, before we do anything.

vickster

Legendary Member
Keep an eye on your injuries, but sounds like it's time to learn from it and move on. How fast were you going considering it was wet especially if you think your pads weren't at their optimum?

Yes, the driver should have stopped but you went into him causing the collision and not the other way

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
my garmin says i was doing 19.2mph but slowed to 18.5mph before i came to an abrupt stop... Not bad seeing as its 20mph speed limit on that road. I count myself extremely lucky, At that speed i could of come off a lot lot worse.

spent 30mins messing with the triban seeing as im not going to get the insurance to chase after the guy. so far i adjusted the mudguards as they were rubbing against the wheels and fine tuned the brakes a little. Will work on the drivetrain tomorrow and see if its still in one peice which i hope it is. My mitts will need replacing though, they got shredded by the tarmac.

classic33

Leg End Member
my garmin says i was doing 19.2mph but slowed to 18.5mph before i came to an abrupt stop... Not bad seeing as its 20mph speed limit on that road. I count myself extremely lucky, At that speed i could of come off a lot lot worse.

spent 30mins messing with the triban seeing as im not going to get the insurance to chase after the guy. so far i adjusted the mudguards as they were rubbing against the wheels and fine tuned the brakes a little. Will work on the drivetrain tomorrow and see if its still in one peice which i hope it is. My mitts will need replacing though, they got shredded by the tarmac.
Still get everything written down, just in case they decide to chase after you, and keep it safe. What if anything did BC say about it?

I'd be inclined to get the bike checked over at a bike shop that you feel you can trust. They'll probably have dealt with more than one before, so'll know exactly what they should be looking for on the frame & forks.

Hope you enjoyed the ice cream.

classic33

Leg End Member
Well... that was rather disappointing.

Walked in there quoting the reference i was given and was told i had to fill out a form (207?) that gets sent to a different department that deals with traffic offenses.

So off i went... Had £1.50 in my pocket so i bought some icecream... what a result
Road Traffic Collision / Accident
You got a shorter version to fill in/complete, only 19 pages. There's one at 27 pages, the same form regional variations.

See the time limit for this form, 24 hours!
http://content.met.police.uk/Article/Collision-forms-and-reports/1400005513174/1400005513174

Last edited:
OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I never really called BC to have a proper chat about the incident. when it did happen they were the first people that i called just to let them know that i was involved in a collision and asked if they ran a recovery service - that was about it.

vickster

Legendary Member
You may want to slow down in wet conditions especially in rush hour traffic, think about braking distances :smile:
it's not necessary to ride at the speed limit

Top Bottom