Rubbing a gold wedding ring on a stye?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
I've got a stye in the corner of my right eye and someone suggested rubbing my wedding ring on it?

Anyone know why? Something about the properties of Gold or just an old wives tale?

colly

Re member eR
Old wives tale.

So that doesn't mean it won't work.:biggrin:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
As long as you wash your hands [with ring!] and face first- can't do any harm- you never know! Sometimes the scientific reasons why similar things work aren't known yet.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Old wives tale.

So that doesn't mean it won't work.:biggrin:

The placebo effect is a strong one. It's possible that a smooth cold item also soothes the area a little.

Apparently the old dock leaf for nettles thing is also a bit of a myth - in that it doesn't have to be a dock leaf. Rubbing with any moist mass like crumpled leaves may ease the initial pain - in fact just rubbing it at all might work. And for children especially, it's often the act of hunting for a dock and doing the rubbing that takes their mind off it. Docks just happen to often grow alongside nettles.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Not sold on the idea then ... lol

I could try rubbing a dock leaf on it. :tongue:

subaqua

What’s the point
Not sold on the idea then ... lol

I could try rubbing a dock leaf on it. :tongue:

what about rubbing gold leaf on it

Mr Phoebus

I've got a stye in the corner of my right eye and someone suggested rubbing my wedding ring on it?

Anyone know why? Something about the properties of Gold or just an old wives tale?

If it works then you should get your eyebrows pierced to prevent a recurrence. :smile:

I used to have styes quite regularly when i was a child, my mum used to rub her wedding ring over them, not too sure if it used to work or not but a few days later they would burst anyway.

Top Bottom