Running on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
I've seen more and more people lately running on the road.
I don't mean when there is no pavement, I mean normal busy roads, running along with traffic?

Why is this happening? What's the advantages? Am I missing something? Just seems dangerous to me, unecassarily if there is a pavement

Brandane

Legendary Member
Predictable replies awaited re why do cyclists get a hard time for not using cycle paths/lanes!

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Think it's a different question to cycles, pavements are made for pedestrians, why would you want to run on the road in busy traffic when there's a pavement? Or am I missing something?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Sort of sensible answer.... They are doing it for the same reason cyclists don't use paths, presumably. To avoid throngs of slow moving pedestrians, dog walkers with dogs on extended leads, dog sh!t, having to stop at every junction, etc. etc..

Firestorm

Veteran
I didn't used to run in busy roads, but where suburban parents had dropped driveways or were very uneven , I used to do my intervals in the road. Where even stride length and rythym is important the road surface is often the better option

Drago

Legendary Member
Think it's a different question to cycles, pavements are made for pedestrians, why would you want to run on the road in busy traffic when there's a pavement? Or am I missing something?
You're missing something.

Roads are for all legitimate and legal users,, not just cars, although most car drivers believe otherwise. So ling as they're being sensible, why the Hell not?

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
And running with cars, wagons and lorries is less dangerous than other pedestrians?

I've seen it when the pavement is clear and the road is busy, seems to be a thing, and it isn't the same as a cyclist on the road, pavements are made for people

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
You're missing something.

Roads are for all legitimate and legal users,, not just cars, although most car drivers believe otherwise. So ling as they're being sensible, why the Hell not?

So you cannot see any issues or dangers with a runner using a busy road as opposed to a clear pavement?

Drago

Legendary Member
Actually, the entity to which you refer is a 'footway'. If you're going to start a discussion suggestion a certain activity is dangerous, then you ought to display at least a basic understanding of the subject.

Drago

Legendary Member
So you cannot see any issues or dangers with a runner using a busy road as opposed to a clear pavement?
You're moving the goalposts now. The word 'busy' was absent from your original post. What next for the mix? Old Toyota pickups with insurgents in the back firing off their AK's? Jumbo jets on final approach making an emergency landing? A hungry and cannibalistic Eric Pickles roaming the carriageway for breakfast?

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Actually, the entity to which you refer is a 'footway'. If you're going to start a discussion suggestion a certain activity is dangerous, then you ought to display at least a basic understanding of the subject.
Footway, sidewalk, pavement, people understand what I mean, your just being pedantic and this offers nothing to the discussion. It's serious question as I've seen it happen more and more and don't get it, no need to turn it into a tit for tat childish argument with your pedantic remarks.

Drago

Legendary Member
You started a discussion by presenting scenario, and. when people dismiss your argument you alter the scenario?

Silly indeed.

Had you started the thread with the word 'busy' in your opening post then my answers, and those of others, would likely have been different.

But you didn't.

Top Bottom