S-Works Venge build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack smith

Veteran
Hi all. So a few of you probably already know I am building a bike based on the s works venge frameset.
But this one I am doing on a budget!
The frameset is ordered and will be a couple of weeks until I get it for myself as I am having abit of custom painting done which will be inspired by the mclaren venge with the red lines and inner frame highlighting. Apart from the mclaren logo's of course.
image.jpg

So build photo's are to follow as the parts arrive, I shall post pics when parts arrive and throughout the building process. But the parts list so far are below. The wheels aren't permanent they are solely for training and to get me but until the summer when some 50mm carbon's will be put on.

105 5700 groupset /FSA gossamer chainset thanks to @stevede brand new condition £190
105 braze on front mech thanks to @AndyRM £10
Shimano r500 30mm wheelset £85 from ribble
Michelin pro 4 tyres in red (had them already)
Deda rhm bars and zero1 stem just under £30 from ribble
Look keo classic pedals in red £36 from pro bike kit
Deda red bar tape £4 from ribble (probably going to end up with black or red lizard skins)
Sanmarco superleggera aspide full carbon saddle I already had off the old bike.

So not all high end parts but rather more tried and tested reliable parts. Let's see how it goes!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 88
OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
So the first bits arrived yesterday in three big boxes, everything from ribble and the group from Steve
image.jpg
This is the lot so far
image.jpg
Ignore thee ultegra boxes they just have the 105 group inside

This mornings delivery was all the cables both Inner and outer from a shop on eBay ( the one that sells the bike stands I reviewed ) and he gave me a cracking deal including plenty of ferrules for 8.45.
The red cable was to do the cable on the rear mech and rear brake but then I realised I forgot to order an extra black one as I will probably need 4. But I will see when the frame arrives as I have no experience with integral routing. The pads are just spares off the brakes that came with the group. I've got some of the white Clarkes shoes and pads to go on
image.jpg

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I was sooo close to doing a very similar bike, even with the McLaren-esque frame.

I went with a mountain bike instead.

Im very intrested to see how this looks when its done, and your opinion of it.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
So the first bits arrived yesterday in three big boxes, everything from ribble and the group from Steve View attachment 44032 This is the lot so far View attachment 44033 Ignore thee ultegra boxes they just have the 105 group inside

This mornings delivery was all the cables both Inner and outer from a shop on eBay ( the one that sells the bike stands I reviewed ) and he gave me a cracking deal including plenty of ferrules for 8.45.
The red cable was to do the cable on the rear mech and rear brake but then I realised I forgot to order an extra black one as I will probably need 4. But I will see when the frame arrives as I have no experience with integral routing. The pads are just spares off the brakes that came with the group. I've got some of the white Clarkes shoes and pads to go on View attachment 44034
Are you aware that gear outers and brake outers are totally different in construction, I wasn't until I tried indexing the gears and they kept drifting. A visit to my favourite LBS for advice was how I found out.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Are you aware that gear outers and brake outers are totally different in construction, I wasn't until I tried indexing the gears and they kept drifting. A visit to my favourite LBS for advice was how I found out.
i had no idea, ive always bought cable inner's and outers from the same guy and my gears and brakes have always worked perfectly? infact its listed as gear/brake cable so im unsure im sure it will be fine like always :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
i had no idea, ive always bought cable inner's and outers from the same guy and my gears and brakes have always worked perfectly? infact its listed as gear/brake cable so im unsure im sure it will be fine like always :smile:
Brake cable outer is spiral in construction Gear cable outer is linier in construction, indexing on a 5-6 will be OK but not on a 9-10 speed as the outer will compress and expand which was why they developed the gear specific outer to get round this problem.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Interesting fact, the bike used in the promoshots of the McLaren Venge was not actually a Mclaren, it was a s-works with McLaren components.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Had a right faf on with specialized getting the frame, they said they could paint the frame with the red I tens. highlighting like the mclaren but they were taking the pee with the time it will rake to do it chopping and changing as they pleased so I've now gone with an off the shelf frame and decided to go with. 54cm instead of 56cm this is the 2013 frame I've gone for
image.jpg
I shall be picking it up nextweek :smile:

Top Bottom