S-Works Venge build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
The crank I've got is bb30 I've ordered a pf30 which is supposed to fit so hopefully it comes Monday along with the paste and I can get riding

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/produc...tompress-pf30-road-bottom-bracket-4668mm.html ordered this devistated I've just realised this says 68mm and the venge is 61!!! Can I make this fit??

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
I've got spacers for the crank could I just space out the crank instead of the pf30? I'd rather not have to shell out the 18 quid for 2 rings as it will put another two week delay on things,

montage

God Almighty
I've got spacers for the crank could I just space out the crank instead of the pf30? I'd rather not have to shell out the 18 quid for 2 rings as it will put another two week delay on things,

Honestly, I do not know the answer to that, and calling whoever supplied you with the frame might get a better response

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
No one seems to have a clue lol I emailed specialized uk direct and they just said ask your local dealer, who also have no clue

montage

God Almighty
No one seems to have a clue lol I emailed specialized uk direct and they just said ask your local dealer, who also have no clue

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sp...-install-red-bb30-crank-venge-etc-280555.html

Lots of people seem to have been there before - that thread looks helpful!

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Bit of a risk considering the price of the frame at RRP . I think I will stick to taking my carbon to my LBS for anything other than pumping up the tyres and oiling the chain .

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Uk bike store never bothered to even ship the bb just found out today gaurenteed next day my a*se would never buy from them again never had an email response either

montage

God Almighty
Challenge accepted washers found the right size for the bb at b&q for 99p also I'll experiment

How do the FSA crank attach onto the axel? If it is side loading, then you might need to rethink your washers.

Sram use a bolt in the left hand crank, that as you tighten up, brings the arm into the centre and therefore into position. This create pressure from the crank onto the bearings - except the interface between the two is designed in such a way that this doesn't occur.
Shimano Hollowgram does not have sideways pressure apart from a miniscule amount of preloading from the black dust cap bolt. This removes the play, and then the crank arm clamps onto the axle using the allen key bolts. I think FSA might be the same as shimano, which is good news if you want to use DIY spaces.

If there is sideways pressure, DIY spacers may effectively press on the bearings which could push them out or stop your crank even turning.
Sorry if I have not explained this well - basically a picture of how the left hand crank arm attaches will help.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
The crank arm is screwed in with an Allen key when I get the bb ( if I ever do at this rate) I'll attempt some trial end error until I can afford the correct spacers

Top Bottom