safely locking your bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I have the self same cable lock, but I only ever use it at short cafe stops on rides.
If you cant afford an expensive lock at present then THISwas posted in the found a bargain thread yesterday & would certainly be a big improvement :thumbsup:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
 I prefer not to leave my bike out of sight anywhere, but when I have to, I use a cable lock for protection from casual thieves or to support my insurance claim if a professional thief gets it. 

Wobblers

Euthermic
As others have said, use a good D lock round the rear wheel and seat stay to an immovable object. But probably the best protection is to lock your bike next to a more desirable nice shiny bike as it most likely will be stolen first!! Depressing but all too often true, unfortunately. Also it's a very good idea to lock your bike in a busy public place: having lots of people around acts as a very good deterrent.

potsy

Rambler
Please listen to the advice you're getting Sarah,you really don't want to lock a nice bike up with just a cable lock.
My Secteur is now 10 months old and has never been locked up,use my hybrid if I have to leave the bike outside,with a D-lock and a cable lock.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'll join everyone else in saying that if you are locking the bike then use that lock at the front and get a d-lock for the back. I currently use a cheap tesco cable lock and a Kriptonite Evolution Mini.

To be fair my bike would probably be pretty safe round here anyway but the D-lock meets my insurance requirements.

I would suggest getting the D-lock through the seat tube, back wheel and a secure point (stand etc) and then the cable through the front wheel.

OP
OP
sarahpink

sarahpink

hi thanks for all the replies and the advice much apprecaited. will get the d lock, thanks for the links btw. also will look into insurance. I don't want to not use my bike, as well didn't buy it for that. ive sent an email to the college im going to and they have somehwhere to store bikes. will see how safe it looks to leave it their.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Just reading the stolen bikes forum is a horror story. Professional theives seem to have all the right tools. If they want your bike they'll get it.

Just best to have a tatty commuter bike if you're leaving it locked up.

I've seen some pretty good bikes on ebay in the last few days for under £50

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Good videos.

Some of the bikes on the second video were amazingly insecure.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I've got a 3000 but they are very expensive nowawadays and weigh about 2kg. I feel it's overkill for my hack bike but would certainly be about right for something more expensive.

Tynan

Veteran
if you lock up regular at the same place, say college, buy a cheap and heavy duty motorbike lock, or even a big chain and padlock from a hardware place and leave it there 24/7

I've got a 3000 but they are very expensive nowawadays and weigh about 2kg. I feel it's overkill for my hack bike but would certainly be about right for something more expensive.

I've got the New York 3000 too, I picked up with a free 7ft Kyrptoflex cable from Wiggle for just over half the price of what they are charging now :ohmy:. I feel it is overkill too, when I'm locking up my old Ridgeback Velocity next to brand new Spesh Allez's, Marin Fairfax's, etc that are secured with cheap cable locks outside the uni :rolleyes: but I'm too paranoid to carry something lighter when I'm having to leave it for a long time. I've also bother about removing every last removable part whereas others don't seem to bother.

Top Bottom