Safety razor advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Believe it or not, safety razors have quite a following - especially if they are vintage. It might be worth posting a few pics and a fault description on the badger and blade forums...

http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/forum.php

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I bought a safety razor a while back. The blade is replaced by turning the handle, which should open up the head in a clamshell manner. Mine doesn't, cos it's stuck.

I tried spraying some GT85 into it, without luck. I've also soaked it in vinegar, thinking it might have been caused by timescale clogging the thread, but still no joy.

Any ideas as to what I can try, before I bin it?

ETA: "limescale", obviously, but I kinda like that error.

Serves you right for shaving. Why anyone would want to shave beats me.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
This doesn't necessarily mean grow a beard. Hipsters who are clean-shaven would go artisanal.

AP-Donovan-Straight-razor-78-cut-throat-mahogany-silver-badger-shaving-brush-and-strop-0.jpg
Yes, this is what I use. A real razor.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
This doesn't necessarily mean grow a beard. Hipsters who are clean-shaven would go artisanal.

AP-Donovan-Straight-razor-78-cut-throat-mahogany-silver-badger-shaving-brush-and-strop-0.jpg

I do quite like the idea of "upgrading" to one of those -anyone tried it? I'm wary of investigating the razor blade forum as there must be some odd bods on there... oh, hang on

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Grab the naughty end with a pair of oven gloves, attach mole grips to the handle and turn. It'll either unscrew, in which case, result, or it'll break, in which case you were never going to get it undone whatever you did.

Top Bottom