Safety razor advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rikki

Legendary Member
I looked.
They have a Pen section. I dare not go there.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I tried the @swee'pea99 approach this evening, with mole grips and oven glove.

The handle turned, the guard did not open. A quick bit of leverage applied from a skewer made half the guard fall off.

I have therefore declared that the razor is FUBAR, and it's been consigned to the bin.

The moral of the tale; don't buy Chinese-made rubbish from Amazon, no matter how attractive it appears from a value standpoint.

I think an Edwin Jagger is in order.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Chinese made butterfly razors will always seize up eventually, most of the advice you had here would have worked on a Gillette. It's the quality of materials used that's key here. Enjoy the Edwin Jagger if you go that way, I have a DE87 and love it, top quality. I also have a Muhle R41, Merkur 34C and Merkur 37C slant bar.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I tried the @swee'pea99 approach this evening, with mole grips and oven glove.

The handle turned, the guard did not open. A quick bit of leverage applied from a skewer made half the guard fall off.

I have therefore declared that the razor is FUBAR, and it's been consigned to the bin.

The moral of the tale; don't buy Chinese-made rubbish from Amazon, no matter how attractive it appears from a value standpoint.

I think an Edwin Jagger is in order.

There's something to be said for the rubber-handled one as it's less slippery to hold which is what I got for my 2nd one to leave in my going away for work bag. There's aslo something to be said for the longer handled one which I haven't tried. The only slighly knurled one is a touch slippery. They're all about £20 to £25 and are basically the same bar the handle. Worth getting the plastic blade cover - even though it's a fiver rather than 10p it should be - I cut myself when travelling as I was rummaging for it in my bag.

tyred

Legendary Member
Look on Ebay for a 1950s Gillette Tech - the pinnacle of shaving technology IMO.

Top Bottom