• June

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • July

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • August

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
I've just noticed that this is going to be on the same day that I have pencilled in with a few other CC members to do a 200 km audax-style ride in Cheshire. It will be a couple of months before I start a thread about that but when I do, I don't want you to think that I am trying to compete with this ride - just an unfortunate clash of dates! :thumbsup:
Colin.

If i'd know about your ride I would have been on it. I just need to have some cycling days to look forward to so I planned my CC ride (amongst other things).
I am in no way offended by your planned ride. :cheers:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Colin.

If i'd know about your ride I would have been on it. I just need to have some cycling days to look forward to so I planned my CC ride (amongst other things).
I am in no way offended by your planned ride. :cheers:
That's why I thought I had better start a thread tonight listing all my other pencilled-in dates! :thumbsup:

I definitely don't want to distract people from one of my rides by starting to talk about another one of mine so now I have set the dates, I will just do one ride thread at a time.

Anyway - I hope the York-Hull-York ride goes well! :smile:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Really? Where do I go for such a ticket? Trainline is telling me a single from Hull-Darlo on 27th June is over £45
If you go direct to east coasts web site they will be available there. Normally released about 3 months in advance, but the cheap tickets for June will not be available yet, but keep your eye out in March :thumbsup:

Chaps/chapesses,

Will you be following route 65 for most of this ride? If so can anyone who's taken this route before (65 - York to Hull) give me a bit of a heads up as to how rough/muddy the non-road sections are please? @middleagecyclist?
I was supposed to be riding my new bike home to Hull from York this Sunday along the more Northerly 66, until I got a call from the bike shop on Saturday pm to say they'd dropped it getting it out of storage and put a big scratch in it :angry:. Did the ride anyway seeing as I'd set the time aside and my friend had already bought his train ticket to join me, and a very pleasant one it was too, even on my old MTB chugger.

But yeah, the whole thing might have been a blessing in disguise as the 66 got pretty muddy and flooded in parts and I wouldn't have wanted to take the shiny new steed over that lot on its maiden outing, so I'm thinking of trying a different route in a couple of weeks when the new bike comes in. This route 65 seems ideal, but not sure what the cycle path parts are like - looks like there's a long stretch of path between York and Riccall, but other than that mostly on roads? Would I be better off working out my own route out of York and joining it at Barlby or Cliffe maybe?

Thanks for any advice, Andy.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Chaps/chapesses,

Will you be following route 65 for most of this ride? If so can anyone who's taken this route before (65 - York to Hull) give me a bit of a heads up as to how rough/muddy the non-road sections are please? @middleagecyclist?
I was supposed to be riding my new bike home to Hull from York this Sunday along the more Northerly 66, until I got a call from the bike shop on Saturday pm to say they'd dropped it getting it out of storage and put a big scratch in it :angry:. Did the ride anyway seeing as I'd set the time aside and my friend had already bought his train ticket to join me, and a very pleasant one it was too, even on my old MTB chugger.

But yeah, the whole thing might have been a blessing in disguise as the 66 got pretty muddy and flooded in parts and I wouldn't have wanted to take the shiny new steed over that lot on its maiden outing, so I'm thinking of trying a different route in a couple of weeks when the new bike comes in. This route 65 seems ideal, but not sure what the cycle path parts are like - looks like there's a long stretch of path between York and Riccall, but other than that mostly on roads? Would I be better off working out my own route out of York and joining it at Barlby or Cliffe maybe?

Thanks for any advice, Andy.

Did it a good few years ago - like route 66 some bits not that good for road bikes (at all) - think I did it on my tourer 32mm tyres & some bits very rough even in the dry,
a few 'off road' / riverside bits from memory & some very pleasant quite roads later - with baffling up & down & across bridges near Brough -
possibly best in this weather using a hovercraft
(or plan your own on road route ...)

Slioch

Guru
The route from York to Selby is paved all the way. There's the occasional pile of horse poo to avoid, but no muddy bits at all. The biggest danger is other path users walking their suicidal and deranged dogs.

The route from York to Selby is paved all the way. There's the occasional pile of horse poo to avoid, but no muddy bits at all. The biggest danger is other path users walking their suicidal and deranged dogs.
Haha, good to know, thanks :thumbsup:

Any idea where the dodgy bits were @craigwend ? If not between York and Selby then I'm struggling to work it out as the rest looks to be all on roads. Unless those are paths not roads between Heminbrough and Barmby on the Marsh and/or near Faxfleet?

Slioch

Guru
Any idea where the dodgy bits were @craigwend ? If not between York and Selby then I'm struggling to work it out as the rest looks to be all on roads. Unless those are paths not roads between Heminbrough and Barmby on the Marsh and/or near Faxfleet?

The route between Hemingborough and Barmby Barrage is about half a mile of unpaved surface, but it has a fairly solid base and would be unlikely to have any serious mud on it in June. I rode it a few weeks back on my road bike with 700x23 tyres and it was not a problem.

The section from Barmby through Howden and on to Faxfleet is tarmac'ed roads all the way, and there is then a section of about 1.5 miles from Faxfleet to Broomfleet which is on a gravel track. Again, no problems for skinny tyres.

howdenbiker

I am a sustrans warden on the Selby to Barmby barrage section. The section from the centre of Selby to Hemingborough has some loose tarmac and potholed sections and bumpy concrete track. As above there is another unpaved surface before the barrage. I use this route to work on a CX with 32mm road tyres, I wouldn't do it on my skinny tired road bike.
It can be ridden by road, about three miles longer if you keep to the back roads via Osgodby, South Duffield, Wressle. Brind, Howden from the north. There is only a 1/4 mile stretch on the A63 to get over the river Derwent.

Unfortunately I am now on holiday on 27th June so cannot make the ride :-(

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Haha, good to know, thanks :thumbsup:

Sadly no - my memory does not work finer details ... though after Selby? & perhaps ?? the '1.5 miles from Faxfleet to Broomfleet' mentioned above- path may have been improved since then.

However if we're doing a FNRTTC based route it's all on road & originally devised by route-master-NCN-dellzeqq,

(see previous threads on CC for rides, routes & reports...)
e.g.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/f...ast-york-to-hull-19-april-2013.122705/page-19
http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=injsnceibzsvcjsr

Last edited:

howdenbiker

There are lots of road options from York to Hull, I often ride either to Hull or York on 40/50 mile rides and it can be done avoiding A roads in the main. Let me know if I can help.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Here's my track from last year's FNRttC- roads on the way back (i.e. not via Goole and the Humber Bridge) seemed perfectly OK to me.

Last edited:
Sadly no - my memory does not work finer details ... though after Selby? & perhaps ?? the '1.5 miles from Faxfleet to Broomfleet' mentioned above- path may have been improved since then.

However if we're doing a FNRTTC based route it's all on road & originally devised by route-master-NCN-dellzeqq

Thanks for your help. What is this FNRTTC of which you speak?

The route between Hemingborough and Barmby Barrage is about half a mile of unpaved surface, but it has a fairly solid base and would be unlikely to have any serious mud on it in June.
Yeah, but I'm talking of doing it in two weeks time on a brand new bike with 25mm slicks. So maybe best avoid this bit.

I am a sustrans warden on the Selby to Barmby barrage section. The section from the centre of Selby to Hemingborough has some loose tarmac and potholed sections and bumpy concrete track. As above there is another unpaved surface before the barrage. I use this route to work on a CX with 32mm road tyres, I wouldn't do it on my skinny tired road bike.
Hey, great to make your acquaintance. Thanks for the info., that's really helpful. Based on the info. supplied by yourself and @Slioch I was thinking of following the 65 path from York to Selby, then avoiding the Hemingbrough section and doing exactly this to Howden -
It can be ridden by road, about three miles longer if you keep to the back roads via Osgodby, South Duffield, Wressle. Brind, Howden from the north
From there I want to be heading to Little Weighton and my final destination of Cottingham. I guess the simplest way of doing that is to follow the B1230 but I know that route and it's not the most interesting so any tips for alternatives for that section would be welcome. Thanks again, Andy.

Top Bottom