Saw my first Birdy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ExBrit

Über Member
I swapped out my 'FIRM' suspension block for a Joseph Kuosac solid one.

I'd tried the jubilee clip around the block, but still the whole bike bobbed more than I wanted.

I got it as a freebie to try so long as I wrote a review.

I made a video instead. Eliminates the bounce and pedal bob, makes it less comfortable, but quicker.

View: https://youtu.be/BxeEln3X2qs

What's a jubilee clip? Is it what an American would call a hose clamp? I'm flying to England today so I thought I should brush up on the local vocabulary.

1655219966165.png

berlinonaut

Veteran
What's a jubilee clip? Is it what an American would call a hose clamp? I'm flying to England today so I thought I should brush up on the local vocabulary.

View attachment 648971

Yup. I learned the word and I am German - now you learned it, too. ^_^ In German we call it "Schlauchschelle" (and, being Germans, of course a couple of other, more precise words, depending from the exact item). :becool:

CEBEP

anyone out there got upgraded brompton suspension? I fancy a change.
thoughts or evidence would be appreciated

My experience: OEM suspension block on my 20221 Brompton provided no suspension I could feel. Suspension block was too stiff for my taste and I’m about 100kg.

I researched many options and decided to opt for Matsumura-Kohki Scrowave Suspension. It provided noticeably better suspension on small road imperfections which is what I was looking for. I also changed my seatpost to Titanium one which also provides flex and adds to rear suspension.

CEBEP

B2467575-E970-48A9-A47B-5D4A50289D70.jpeg

3E397CE1-1D80-4701-899D-7C6C62F415B5.jpeg

berlinonaut

Veteran

That's the second Brommi with a Birdy fork that I saw. The first one was years ago on flickr. The most relevant problem is probably the height of the bottom bracket - dramatically higher than standard and as I would assume pretty uncomfortable in practice, especially in city traffic. This is a result of the rear damper being about double the length of the factory standard and this again is a result of the Birdy fork being higher than the Brompton fork. Was the same on the other build I saw.

The fold works but is not overly impressive. Note, that on the Birdy the fork itself gets folded (resulting in dirty fingers after the fold) whereas here the fork stays as it is and the main frame gets folded.
I suspect that the suspension on the front works well but have my doubts about the rear. Possibly with the Birdy fork you now have the twitchy Birdy steering on the Brompton, defintively you have the maintenance cost of the Birdy fork (look into to the maintenance plan in the Birdy manual).
Personally I would not go down that route. If you want more comfort on the Brompton front I'd recommend using the Greenspeed Scorcher - a surprisingly dramatic effect - or Velospring grips.

The pictured bike is btw. an early ti-Brommi (~2005-2009). The change from a light ti-fork to a relatively heavy Birdy fork is a bit surprising.

CEBEP

I’m definitely not a fan of such modifications but looks interesting. As you’ve mentioned these are two different bikes, so rather than modifying Brompton it’s better to have both :smile:

Top Bottom