Seat advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nick.b

ive just brought a new bike and the seat is horrible, ive always got on well with seats that came with my bike so now im not sure where to start,and what to look for in a seat. i dont want to spend a fortune, but im willing to pay as much as i need to ensure i dont get something crap.

things you may need to know,
  • The bike is a Boardman Pro Carbon, so a road bike seat i need.
  • It didnt come with the Fizik seat so i dont know waht they are like.
  • Im light, (10.5st)
  • id rather not pay more then £40 (it can be nearly new)
  • needs to be available in black as the main colour
Thanks in advance

Sharky

Guru
Don't know how long you've been cycling, so apologies if I'm saying things you already know, but unfortunately it is trial and error until you find the right one. Do you still have your old bike or remember what the saddle was? I would stick with the one you are already comfortable with.

The tilt of the saddle can make a huge difference to comfort as too can the width. Some new bikes do come with racey saddles and very narrow (135 ish mm). Slightly wider saddles 145mm might be better. My preference after many years is for San Marco Regal and I've got this on all my bikes now. The regal is a bit retro, so looks really classic, but I often see new saddles with split noses or cut away holes and wonder what they are like, but I'm too scared now to start experimenting again.

The other factor in a comfortable saddle is your legs. These are your suspension and should take a lot of weight, but it takes a while building leg strength and technique.

Good luck

Keith

Dom_500

i had the same problem recently and looking at all reviews the best bang for buck is the charge spoon saddle at around £20 from wiggle.

I have only done about 100 miles on it but i find it comfortable and for the money a good place to perch.

vickster

Legendary Member
More recent discussion here http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/saddle-replacement.164049/#post-3259895 (and quite probably more of the same to be found with the search function) :smile:

Oh and you don;t have to put a 'roadbike' saddle on a roadbike...many people use Brooks saddles on roadbikes (i.e. drop bar bikes)...you won't get a Brooks easily for £40 though so that's not one to consider :smile:

Go to a Specialized dealer, get your sit bones measured, take it from there. Cut out style can be helpful for either gender but it's down to preference and personal anatomy

OP
OP
N

nick.b

thanks for the advice, i tried borrowed a boardman saddle and i didnt like it, weird as i loved it before, but that was many years ago and ive had a good few injuries since then, my other is a VNT seat that came on my van nicholas, its really comfy so maybe ill see what i can pick those up for.

Top Bottom