seatpost bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

funnkkymonkey

Regular
Hi all I'm after a seatpost bag for commuting to work, I've seen the altura aero and topeak dynapack which look quite nice and are about the size I want, I think the altura looks the better one but has anyone has any good or bad experiences with either or can anyone suggest a cheaper/better alternative
Thanks

moo

I use an Altura Arran which is similar to the Aero. It's survived 5,000 commuting miles and a lot of abuse. I carry all my tools, inner tubes, a 500ml flask of coffee and lots of food.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ALTURA-Arran-Expanding-Post-Pack/dp/B000P1TNFW

The only issue I have is the bag is not fully waterproof. It shrugs off a small shower fine, but in heavy rain it will get drenched. I've overcome this by making my own waterproof cover, which was necessary due to the rear lights I have fitted:

IMG_20141025_240754838.jpg

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I have the topeak dynapack, but only for the last few weeks so can't give a comprehensive review- few first thoughts: it's not water proof- even with the cover over the top, you can hardly notice it's there- going over speedhumps is the only time it makes a noise and you never feel its presence, good capacity as I use it for work, uses up a lot of room on the seat post- means it's tricky to get a smaller saddle bag on for pleasure rides (unless you have two bikes in which case ignore it). Takes clip on rear light onto the reflective strip at the rear but not sure how well this will work when I have the cover on. Otherwise it's a good piece of kit- bought to replace my rucksack when my commute distance increased- recommend it (so far)

OP
OP
funnkkymonkey

funnkkymonkey

Regular
Cheers guys I will probably stay away from cheap imitations I usually find it's a bit of a false economy, does anyone know if the altura bags have anywhere to clip a light on?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Apologies for going slightly off topic here, but why Halfrauds? I am new to the forum so not sure.

Halfrauds. Amusing (or not!) pun on the Halfords name due to their unpopularity amongst some cyclists due to some of their stores having appalling service - example being forks put on the wrong way around.

I use an Altura Arran which is similar to the Aero. It's survived 5,000 commuting miles and a lot of abuse. I carry all my tools, inner tubes, a 500ml flask of coffee and lots of food.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ALTURA-Arran-Expanding-Post-Pack/dp/B000P1TNFW

The only issue I have is the bag is not fully waterproof. It shrugs off a small shower fine, but in heavy rain it will get drenched. I've overcome this by making my own waterproof cover, which was necessary due to the rear lights I have fitted:

img_20141025_240754838-jpg.59883.jpg

Those lights are great. I've got the same bag but haven't got lights to fit. What sort of lights are they?

Halfrauds. Amusing (or not!) pun on the Halfords name due to their unpopularity amongst some cyclists due to some of their stores having appalling service - example being forks put on the wrong way around.
Oh I see, I've just purchased my bike from there and to their credit, the two chaps that dealt with me were fantastic. The manufacturer sent the wrong front mudguard with my bike so after Halfords accidentally sent back the new one they received for me a few days later the chap ended up ordering me ones they sold to fit, ended up going for nearly the most expensive they carried instead of bog standard too.

That said they didn't put the headset tight enough and I had a ton of chatter in the front until remedied. Guess as with anything it depends on when and where you see them.

moo

jagman.2003

Über Member
Just as an alternative option. I use a Rixen Kaul seat post adaptor. LINK
It allows me to clip on a couple of different size handlebar bags, (RK or AGU) depending on my carrying requirements. 1.5 - 7 litres.
I bolt rack brackets to the bags for light attachment.
Not necessarily the cheapest solution but very robust & flexible.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I have a Topeak one - excuse the dirt, haven't cleaned it yet after my 26 miler last night.

It's very secure and has a built in rain cover, which has kept everything dry in heavy rain.
I carry a spare tube, tyre levers, a multi-tool, cable ties etc and there's still room in it. It also has an expansion zip but I've never used that.

20141029_094806_resized.jpg

Top Bottom