Self service cafe etiquette

When in a self service cafe (not fast food) do you

• Bag a seat, then purchase food

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Purchase food before finding a seat

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Only claim your table first if there's a few of you - or youre with a child?

Votes: 11 28.2%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
If I'm with a group, ill join the queue whilst they seek a table, no point in all of us making the queue longer.

On my own I just go join the queue, if there are two of us we tend to join as its good to chat and also I can never remember their order.

I have been in the position in Costa with a tray of drinks, and cakes looking for an empty table. One middle-aged lady was sat at a table with 4 seats, only sat on one seat, and her bags on another seat. I ushered my wife and child to sit at the two empty seats, and asked said lady if she would mind moving her shopping bags so i could sit down too.....she refused! The look on her face as i sat on her shopping was a picture!

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
This is very amusing a thread. Look folks, it's a dog eat sausage roll world and if you're too stupid to buy your food before you have somewhere to eat it, tough. I am a table grabber and a car wash queue jumper and the Rheged centre serves crap coffee and sausage rolls.
I never drink coffee, but their sausage rolls were always quite delicious, although I think they've changed the recipe as this last one wasn't too great.

Best solution, avoid Rheged. It's a glorified petrol station.
I do agree. It's just shops selling things you don't want to buy. Sometimes they have a good exhibition, but you never know how much they're going to try and charge you to go in so we only go for the sausage rolls. And we probably won't be going again in a hurry.

I miss having all six children in tow for these situations. There's nothing like a large brood to clear a place in ahurry!!

Dave7

Legendary Member
On a similar vein......
Needing a quick car wash, pull into a fuel station, park up in allotted parking spaces, go to till and purchase token or code or whatever's required,
Get inot car and drive to carwash only to find a driverless car parked in the entrance. So I have to sit there and wait for some selfish twot who arrived after me to go through the wash in front of me. :cursing::banghead:
Had that done.....felt as annoyed as you. Selfish barstewards.

pawl

Legendary Member
In rheghed recently, mr6 and I queued for a posh sausage roll and a fancy pop. When we joined the queue there were 3 in front of us and plenty of tables. 20 minutes later when we finally got served all the tables were full, mostly with people waiting for other people who were queuing, but also "claimed" with a handbag.
Fortunately someone was just leaving and we got a seat.
Mr6 was quite outraged, but I think it's fair play to save your seat - especially if there's a few of you, or if you have a child.
But what is the "correct" etiquette?

Beware Germans bearing beach towles.

Top Bottom