Shane Sutton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CaadX

They thought they could turn cycling into the next soccer, only they forgot one thing cyclists aren't 2 faced, shallow, money grabbing bar stewards.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Two telling quotes are (IMO):
Chris Boardman: Sutton was “an excellent No 2” but perhaps not the right man to be “the big boss”.
Rob Hayles "He worked extremely well alongside Sir Dave Brailsford. They were good cop, bad cop, but unfortunately bad cop, bad cop does not work at all."

Sutton sounds like he was promoted one level beyond his abilities into a role that did not suit him, by an organisation aware of and not interested in addressing his behavioural problems. Someone a bit smarter at the helm would have realised that to maintain the status quo Brailsford needed to be replaced with a like for like PR friendly, person-management skilled individual, capable of making big decisions, leaving Sutton bullying people and making small decisions in his tracksuit in the background.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Their track bikes and road bikes that aren't 'branded' have to be available for sale as part of UCI rules. The fact is they are mega expensive though.

DogTired

Über Member
This is also an indirect consequence of the emphasis UK Sport put on Olympic medals as a measure of 'success'. Over time you end up with a machine whose only goal is to fulfil that metric. Hence the British Cycling 'medal factory' with little regard to how this was achieved and the cost to individuals.

The funding for British Swimming was cut ruthlessly as a result of a poor medal showing in London. People turn a blind eye when success seems all around and the place is awash with cash.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
I think the elite boys' club at BC is circling the wagons. Peter Kennaugh posted tweets this morning critical of Emma Pooley's comments re sexism, tweets which he later deleted. Luke Rowe has tweeted comments in support of Shane Sutton. It's all becoming a little bit internecine.

I think the elite boys' club at BC is circling the wagons. Peter Kennaugh posted tweets this morning critical of Emma Pooley's comments re sexism, tweets which he later deleted. Luke Rowe has tweeted comments in support of Shane Sutton. It's all becoming a little bit internecine.
Peter Kennaugh doesn't seem too bright and his tweets have been preserved for posterity. Quite nasty little tweets they are too. Future BC chairman then!

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I feel sorry for the track riders because outside of the BC Performance Plan they have nothing. Nicole Cooke was able to go off to the continent and ride for a pro road team, but there is no career as a female track rider unless you are on the national squad, there simply isn't a programme of events.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Just so we are clear what Kennaugh said - this is from Cyclingnews.com -

'In an interview with Guardian Sport earlier this week, Pooley asked why British Cycling and Team Sky didn’t sponsor a women’s team. “Why wasn’t there a similar plan for the women? The women’s Giro d’Italia was the most important race for women but where was the funding for that? I came second twice and no one from British Cycling offered to put together a team to help me win it.”

Kennaugh, 26, replied to her questions on Twitter saying,“Emma pooley why would sky put money into the women’s giro that absolutely no one in the uk has absolutely no idea about”, followed one minute later by “Stop being so self centered and get over it.”'

Emma Pooley is one of the most successful British cyclists of recent years, despite her lack of support, and also one of the most intelligent and articulate. Kennaugh is a talented and hard-working rider, but it's bizarre that someone so many years Pooley's junior without anything like her record of success, would feel that he had the right to patronise and insult her in this way. It says a great deal about the sexist culture in cycling.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Pretty much. Then again, Shane Sutton didn't construct the all-white (as of yesterday) website or hire all those regional events officers.

The bigger horror is that it may say something about us (in the widest possible sense). Podium girls? The all-white cast in 'Cycling' magazine? Those revolting Wiggle ads?

It's an incredibly white sport. The only black cyclists I;ve heard of are Daniel Teklehaimanot (sp?) and Traffic Droid.

Gregory Bauge? (Edit, late to that party ;) )

It would appear that the colour make up of BC's emerging talent isn't going to change things anytime soon either. I work next to the Velodrome and daily see the BC kitted male and female riders coming in, going out on rides, wandering around the adjacent ASDA, in the public areas of the Velodrome & it's (expensive) cafe. In all the years the Velodrome has been BC's home and training base, I cannot ever remember seeing a non white rider/person in liveried kit.

Doesn't mean to say there aren't any non white riders or other members of staff, but if they are there, they are they don't seem to get out and about much.

Top Bottom