Shattered Patella Again!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Velominati

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of cycling after suffering with a broken patella, I have broken my Patella twice now (same leg) the first time was 30 years ago, the break was fixed with four screws and a metal plate (the metal work is a permanent fixture), I was able to cycle without any problems. A year ago, some spanner decided to perform an illegal U-turn in front of me and the result was that I left a bit of a dent in the side of his car, (note to self, get disc breaks) unfortunately I broke my patella again but this time I didn't just break it, I shattered it, the doc told me that there was no point in surgery because the bone fragments were to small and some of the bone had disintegrated. He kindly offered me a nice new plastic knee should I ever need a replacement. To recover from the injury, I used a leg brace for three months and I took plenty of vitamins and calcium tablets, my knee healed amazingly quick and I'm up and about again. Occasionally my knee has a bit of a wobble and I end up doing moves that Elvis the Pelvis would have been proud of. I want to cycle but I'm worried about damaging my knee further, the good news is the doc was happy for me to return to work which involves some heavy lifting so all is good.
My question is: Has anyone ridden their bike after suffering a break in their knee and has anyone suffered further knee problems as a result of cycling.
Edit: I suffer from Osteoarthritis in the broken knee but legend has it that cycling can be quite beneficial in alleviating the pain.

Many Thanks in advance.:thumbsup:

Bicycle-Vs-Car-Funny-Meme-Image-For-Facebook.jpg

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Alf Engers had a knee cap removed and did a bit of cycling.

Hope you recover.
Keith

rivers

How far can I go?
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of cycling after suffering with a broken patella, I have broken my Patella twice now (same leg) the first time was 30 years ago, the break was fixed with four screws and a metal plate (the metal work is a permanent fixture), I was able to cycle without any problems. A year ago, some spanner decided to perform an illegal U-turn in front of me and the result was that I left a bit of a dent in the side of his car, (note to self, get disc breaks) unfortunately I broke my patella again but this time I didn't just break it, I shattered it, the doc told me that there was no point in surgery because the bone fragments were to small and some of the bone had disintegrated. He kindly offered me a nice new plastic knee should I ever need a replacement. To recover from the injury, I used a leg brace for three months and I took plenty of vitamins and calcium tablets, my knee healed amazingly quick and I'm up and about again. Occasionally my knee has a bit of a wobble and I end up doing moves that Elvis the Pelvis would have been proud of. I want to cycle but I'm worried about damaging my knee further, the good news is the doc was happy for me to return to work which involves some heavy lifting so all is good.
My question is: Has anyone ridden their bike after suffering a break in their knee and has anyone suffered further knee problems as a result of cycling.
Edit: I suffer from Osteoarthritis in the broken knee but legend has it that cycling can be quite beneficial in alleviating the pain.

Many Thanks in advance.:thumbsup:

Bicycle-Vs-Car-Funny-Meme-Image-For-Facebook.jpg

I tore my ACL, meniscus, and chipped/broke my knee is a few places about 15 years ago now. Had surgery, etc to replace my ACL with some hamstring, repaired the meniscus, and filed down the bones. It's now osteoarthritic, and I'm cycling around 120-150 miles a week. For the most part I'm pain free.

Lee_M

Guru
destroyed my acl, medial and lateral ligaments and dislocated both knees (it was a pretty major ski accident!), couldnt walk for about a month and then with sticks for 6 months. Now cycle regularly and up to 100 miles. Cycling is good in that if you have decent on bike posture then the movement is all in plane with limited lateral movement. just dont listen to my crepitus, it's appalling

PK99

Legendary Member
This site is good for all you kneed!

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/

Not patella but....

I'm re-habbing from snapped ACL and pre-habbing for a reconstruction op in October. We set off tomorrow to ride Mt Ventoux on a long hilly tour.

Getting back on the bike has been very good for my re/pre-hab - the low impact motion gets things moving very well and quickly. Plus, the strong advice at the start was, avoid nasty hills, keep pedal force low and spin at high cadence, which has been great for my cycling as my comfortable cadence has gone up from around 75 to 95 and spinning up hills is now my natural style. Currently my only issue is lateral stability which means riding out of the saddle is a big no-no. If you have wobbles, that may be an issue for you too.

BUT, do not take advice, however well meant, from random strangers like me on the interweb. Go see a sports physio who may well give you a programme of strengthening exercises to do before/alongside any significant riding. I did a lot of knee and core strengthening work (mainly body weight exercises, no need for the gym) before being allowed back on the bike.

OP
OP
Velominati

Velominati

This site is good for all you kneed!

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/

Not patella but....

I'm re-habbing from snapped ACL and pre-habbing for a reconstruction op in October. We set off tomorrow to ride Mt Ventoux on a long hilly tour.

Getting back on the bike has been very good for my re/pre-hab - the low impact motion gets things moving very well and quickly. Plus, the strong advice at the start was, avoid nasty hills, keep pedal force low and spin at high cadence, which has been great for my cycling as my comfortable cadence has gone up from around 75 to 95 and spinning up hills is now my natural style. Currently my only issue is lateral stability which means riding out of the saddle is a big no-no. If you have wobbles, that may be an issue for you too.

BUT, do not take advice, however well meant, from random strangers like me on the interweb. Go see a sports physio who may well give you a programme of strengthening exercises to do before/alongside any significant riding. I did a lot of knee and core strengthening work (mainly body weight exercises, no need for the gym) before being allowed back on the bike.

I have to thank everyone for their kind words, its good to know that people do recover from serious injury and manage to cycle again, reading all the positive comments has helped me with getting motivated. I'm going bike shopping today, I think that I will be looking for a nice robust hybrid, I'm off to watch the MotoGP at Silverstone this weekend and a hybrid bike would be excellent for getting myself around the circuit. I was thinking of fixing a rack with some panniers so that I can carry my small camping stove, cooking gear and waterproof clothing etc. Cycling around the circuit really would enable me to get to the less populated parts of the track, it's also relatively flat so it will be a good place to test out my old injury. If you watch the MotoGP race on TV and you spot some solitary figure on one of the hills overlooking the track with a pushbike and looking all smug, that will be me.:highfive:

Once again thank you to everyone for the advice.

OP
OP
Velominati

Velominati

Alf Engers had a knee cap removed and did a bit of cycling.

Hope you recover.
Keith

I had never heard about Alf Engers until today, I did a quick wiki search on him and wow, I was blown away, what a character, I have to learn more about him, are there any good resources that you could recommend?

Edit: I have just found a tribute film about Engers, 'Alf Engers aka The King'.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzaTAUUrLgM

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
MiL is missing a kneecap and while not a cyclists, at 80 walks dozens of miles a week in all weathers with no adverse effects.

My kneecap is held together with bits and bobs since my teens and I have increasingly degenerative problems with the articular cartilage and onset of arthritis, cycling is about the only thing that alleviates the discomfort and enables me to get through some days on wincing rather than yelps.

Scotmitchy

Not shattered, but I have dislocated my patellas repeatedly, in one case tearing most of the ligaments around it and needing it rebuilt. I cycle mainly pain free too, though have to be careful not to position myself badly and risk strains.

Good luck with your recovery.

OP
OP
Velominati

Velominati

Over the weekend I managed to do some cycling, I probably only covered about 30 miles on fairly flat roads and my knee held up quite well, the only time that I felt any pain was when I stood up on the pedals, in fairness someone did mention on this thread that I should avoid standing and placing to much pressure on my knee, I should have listened. To be honest I think that the exercise has done my health and my knee a great deal of good and I can't wait to get back out there and cycle again, the thing is I'm now thinking that perhaps I should set myself the goal of entering a sportive which also means that I will need the right kind of bike, I only own mountain bikes any suggestions would be helpful.
Edit: I will of course be looking at the Sportive Forum.

vickster

Legendary Member
Nothing to stop you doing a sportive on an MTB, plenty do including the longer ones like Ride London

However if you fancy a road bike, set a budget then give some a try

If you fancy something retro give @biggs682 a holler :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you decide to do that get in touch because I've got a couple of 26" Specialized fatboy road slick tyres I'm happy to sell for a tenner each. They will add about 30% to your speed for the same effort.

Top Bottom