Sheared threads tightening cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RhythMick

Über Member
Replaced a spoke today and re-trued the wheel - quite pleased as it was my first. Ruined it by shearing the threads putting the cassette back on.

I was using the park tools tw2 beam wrench. It showed nothing like 40 Nm, but I wish I'd trusted my gut which was telling me something was wrong.

Am I likely to be able to replace the threaded part? Don't even know what that bit is called.

simon.r

Person
Cassette or freewheel?

If it's the threaded part of the hub that the freewheel threads onto it means a new hub, which in practice probably means a new wheel.

If it's the threaded end of the freehub that the cassette fits onto, the freehub should be replaceable.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Cassette lockrings tend to have really fine threads and cross-threading them is quite easy to do. You could try getting a replacement lockring and seeing if that works. If the thread on the free hub is fubared, you need a new free hub. It's often more economical to get a complete new wheel than put on a replacement free hub, as @simon.r has said.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
I think it's the freehub - dark bit with slots that the cassette sits on. Think I'll pop it in to my LBS who are great with these things.

Tim Hall

Cassette lockrings tend to have really fine threads and cross-threading them is quite easy to do. You could try getting a replacement lockring and seeing if that works. If the thread on the free hub is fubared, you need a new free hub. It's often more economical to get a complete new wheel than put on a replacement free hub, as @simon.r has said.
No, simon.r said get a new wheel if it's the freewheel thread that's damaged. New freehub bodies, which is what the OP has are much cheaper than a new wheel and are easy to swap out.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
No, simon.r said get a new wheel if it's the freewheel thread that's damaged. New freehub bodies, which is what the OP has are much cheaper than a new wheel and are easy to swap out.
Not a job I've looked into but would like to try it. The wheel is maybe 18 months old and the rims have plenty of life. It was from SPA I think, part of a pair when I bought my dynamo hub front. Worth saving.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Fair enough, but it depends on how fancy your wheels are. A replacement freehub on my last bike was going to cost £35 while a fairly passable wheel was £50. Since the old wheel was three years old, it wasn't a hard decision to make.

Edit: cross post with the above.

broady

Veteran
It's pretty straight forward to swap over free hubs. I take mine off to clean when I do the bearings on the commuter as it's out in sll weather.
Hope you are back on the road soon

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
FWIW the only time I've ever used a torque wrench in anger I ignored my gut and sheared a bolt. I just use it as a socket driver thing now. (Not blaming the tool btw. Probably my own silly fault)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
gallery4.gif

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
It's pretty straight forward to swap over free hubs. I take mine off to clean when I do the bearings on the commuter as it's out in sll weather.
Hope you are back on the road soon

I have spare wheels fortunately so I'm on the road thanks. I'll look up replacing the freehub.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I know it's after the event, but a cassette doesn't need to be on particularly tight anyway, as it will tighten as you ride to some extent. That's why getting them off can be a pain.

Top Bottom