Shimano Claris 2400/2403 8-sp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
If you are tired of stupid thumb buttons, yes.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
If you are tired of stupid thumb buttons, yes.

They don't really both me, I don't race and I am only really interested in my own development.
I was more referring to quality over the 2007-8 sora (whatever your opinion may be on sora) and also the extra gear, because I can think of some slightly better ratio's than I currently have in the mid range.

If you think they are stupid, are they not an advancement over down tube shifters.

T.M.H.N.E.T

They are very much a trickle down from 2013 sora though. Wouldn't surprise me if they were exactly the same lever mechanically,minus a click.

It makes little difference if you race or not, the buttons are stupidly designed and shimano has realised it with the release of Claris.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
They are very much a trickle down from 2013 sora though. Wouldn't surprise me if they were exactly the same lever mechanically,minus a click.

It makes little difference if you race or not, the buttons are stupidly designed and shimano has realised it with the release of Claris.
Not as stupid as a set of levers I had on a gitane in the 80's, positioned on the headstock, so every time you got out of the saddle to sprint and were in say 2 chances were you would catch it and drop all the way to 5 and you can guess the result, nice idea just didn't work.

My current sora can go up two at a time, not that its been used very often.
Thanks for the info.

musa

Über Member
T.M.H.N.E.T has said it all. The Claris is the replacement of sora. The thumb shifter will soon trickle out of the range. 7,8 speed is slowly dying unless you start going in the MTB range of gear

musa

Über Member
So yes. Now 11speed is out. It's going n that direction. 105 hasn't got to 11 yet still 5700. But 6800 and 9000 is out and pretty much priced the same as 6700 and 7900 very cheap too!

T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T has said it all. The Claris is the replacement of sora. The thumb shifter will soon trickle out of the range. 7,8 speed is slowly dying unless you start going in the MTB range of gear
Technically it's the replacement of 2300sti ("2400 Claris" as it's the new budget 8speed groupset. Sora itself has only recently acquired dual levers ;)

I've actually been looking at claris for a winter bike build based off a Ribble frame. Think it has potential to be a pretty cheap workhorse.

musa

Über Member
The Claris looks alright so nice workhouse despite the washing lines. They shift decently as well so can't fault them just yet

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
@musa
So it would be a viable budget option. To do anything more would entail a complete groupset upgrade and I dont have those funds, trying to save for a 2nd bike but it's just not happening, mind you I have just about replaced everything on my current bike bar the the shifters, forks and mudguards I forgot tape as well, keep trying to get the funds together just for that is difficult.

musa

Über Member
yea it would be. i mean the majority of the cost as is with groupset are the levels so an 8 speed will cost about 80- 100 and rear mech is around 15-20 quid. possibly might get it cheaper this was done with a quick googling.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
yea it would be. i mean the majority of the cost as is with groupset are the levels so an 8 speed will cost about 80- 100 and rear mech is around 15-20 quid. possibly might get it cheaper this was done with a quick googling.
Rear mech is fine, its last years (maybe still current) Acera so it will do 8 speed fine. With the Acera I have the option of going up to a 28 should I venture toward the Pennines, hardly go lower than a 30x19 or 21 (34x24 on a compact)

musa

Über Member
Rear mech is fine, its last years (maybe still current) Acera so it will do 8 speed fine. With the Acera I have the option of going up to a 28 should I venture toward the Pennines, hardly go lower than a 30x19 or 21 (34x24 on a compact)
Ahh that'll be fine then
Just the shifters

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
Ahh that'll be fine then
Just the shifters
Story of my bike ad-hoc when it can be afforded :smile:, but it works, gets me around keeps me fitter, and I am as quick as some local riders on bikes almost 10x the price mine cost, well apart from when they ride in a group.:smile:

Top Bottom