Shimano dual pivot brakes on old Raleigh frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenorman

Hi everyone

Bit of a newbie question for my first post. I picked up a Raleigh Pulsar from eBay last year, with the intention of using it as a bit of a project bike. I've put on new wheels, rear cassette, rear derailleur, and all the things I've been able to do before. I bought some Shimano Sora dual pivot brakes to replace the old side pull calipers on it. The basic problem I have is currently fitting the rear brake. The brake bridge (if that's the proper word) has the usual hole where you can attach parts of the rear rack, mudguards, and a caliper brake. The old brakes simply have very long bolts to go through the bridge, and then a nut to secure the rear. The Shimano brakes have a much shorter bolt and a sleeve-type nut to recess into the hole. Unfortunately the hole is too small and the sleeve won't fit inside the hole. I've very little (read none!) experience with doing anything to frames. Is it reasonable to either use a drill or a metal file just to enlarge the hole to fit the brakes, or would this be causing some problems for the future?

Thanks for reading such a ramble!

Colin

Yep, its usual to drill it out. It can be tricky to get access as the seatpost will be in the way. I used a dremel tool on an old Peugeot I restored to do the same thing.

gbb

Legendary Member
Proceed with great care Tenorman...ive done it to a frame myself, and although its been ok, there was precious little meat left to feel happy about its strength.
It really concerned me when i did it...i thought that'll never hold out. As i tightened the allen nut in the new recess, it began to crush or distort the bridge, so i did it up the absolute minimun i could...a balance between getting the brake bolt tight enough and secure...and not doing it too much to crush the bridge.

The bridge on some bikes maybe ok, but mine didnt fill me with confidence....and i'm an engineer. This is bread and butter stuff to me. So go easy. :biggrin:

Record Ace

Did I read it right on the Sheldonbrown site that you simply buy two front calipers and mount one on the rear using a washer and nut?

I've bought a front and rear Shimano R450's today and can't fit the rear one (haven't tried the front) They look identical apart from the longer bolt on the front one.

I have a 23 year old Raleigh Record Ace which I have owned from new - just getting back into cycling and have scared myself witless with the old brakes!!!

Record Ace

Took the plunge and drilled the front fork out, took the rear calliper back and exchanged it for a front caliper - just used the old bolt on the back. One pair of weinmann 500 calipers available if anyone is interested!

Top Bottom