Shimano RD-TZ30 replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6
Dear all

Whilst out on my bike a week or two ago my chain snapped and dragged the rear derailleur up into the spokes of the bike.

I have since replaced the faulty link with a powerlink and i've attempted to index my gears but everything is not particularly smooth with the largest and smallest cogs on the rear cassette not always engaging.
Looking at the rear deraiuller it is not perfectly straight and inline with the cassette which makes me wonder if it has been bent slightly suring the chain break.

Whilst on my lunch I have been googling to see what model the rear derailleur my BTwin Rockrider 5.0 is and it seems to be a Shimano RD-TZ30. This seems to be a discontiues model so I am wondering if anyone can suggest what I might replace it with. I did see somewhere that the RD-TZ50 might be appropriate but I cannot find where I saw that now.

I appreciate any help.

Darren

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Dear all

Whilst out on my bike a week or two ago my chain snapped and dragged the rear derailleur up into the spokes of the bike.

I have since replaced the faulty link with a powerlink and i've attempted to index my gears but everything is not particularly smooth with the largest and smallest cogs on the rear cassette not always engaging.
Looking at the rear deraiuller it is not perfectly straight and inline with the cassette which makes me wonder if it has been bent slightly suring the chain break.

Whilst on my lunch I have been googling to see what model the rear derailleur my BTwin Rockrider 5.0 is and it seems to be a Shimano RD-TZ30. This seems to be a discontiues model so I am wondering if anyone can suggest what I might replace it with. I did see somewhere that the RD-TZ50 might be appropriate but I cannot find where I saw that now.

I appreciate any help.

Darren

Assuming the attachment looks like the pic below, the RD-TZ50 would work fine, so would pretty much any current direct allen bolt fit (as opposed to ones with integral hanger) Shimano 6/7/8 speed mtb rear mech. This is another lost cost example.

It is also possible that the hanger on the frame (the bit the rear mech bolts onto) is also bent. A way to check that is to screw an M10x1mm axle (used on most Shimano rear hubs e.g.) into the hanger and see whether it remains horizontal looking from behind when the bike is vertical, and at 90 degrees to the centreline of the frame when looking from above. It would appear the Rockrider 5.0 hanger is integral to the frame, which being steel, should mean that it can be bent back into position carefully. If you are not confident you should get a bike shop to check and correct it for you.

big_800PX_74264576.jpg

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

Assuming the attachment looks like the pic below, the RD-TZ50 would work fine, so would pretty much any current direct allen bolt fit (as opposed to ones with integral hanger) Shimano 6/7/8 speed mtb rear mech. This is another lost cost example.

It is also possible that the hanger on the frame (the bit the rear mech bolts onto) is also bent. A way to check that is to screw an M10x1mm axle (used on most Shimano rear hubs e.g.) into the hanger and see whether it remains horizontal looking from behind when the bike is vertical, and at 90 degrees to the centreline of the frame when looking from above. It would appear the Rockrider 5.0 hanger is integral to the frame, which being steel, should mean that it can be bent back into position carefully. If you are not confident you should get a bike shop to check and correct it for you.

Thank you for the help. I'm at work now but the image you have posted certainly looks like the rear mech on my rockrider.

I shall have a look tonight hopefully once my Son is in bed. I will check the hanger but I think that is okay as the top wheel on the mech seems to be inline with the cassette cogs it is the bottom wheen on the mech that seems to be out of alignment.

Thanks again.

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

I've taken off the old mech but I am worried that the integrated hanger is bent. It is not 100% parallel to the wheel. I'm not sure if this is how it should be or not. It seems odd that it would have been damaged during the chain break.

Does anyone have a rock rider 5.0 who could maybe take picture of the rear hanger?

Brettski

I've taken off the old mech but I am worried that the integrated hanger is bent. It is not 100% parallel to the wheel. I'm not sure if this is how it should be or not. It seems odd that it would have been damaged during the chain break.

Does anyone have a rock rider 5.0 who could maybe take picture of the rear hanger?

If your derailleur went into your spokes while riding you can pretty much guarantee that things have been bent. You need to check alignment on everything back there.

Top Bottom