Shimano sora, any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu669

Hi all just need a little advice I'm in the Market for a new road bike I'm looking at the ribble race due to it's price, looks and I have spoken to a few people and they say ribbles do the trick.
my question is the only group and chainset I can afford on the bike is the sora. will this do?
Also was looking at the boardman in my price range this also runs sora parts.
My budget is £650 no more.
Thanks in advance for your help

chris-s

It will do the job for sure, but having experienced sora and tiara, the latter is SO much better.

Chris

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
I run one of my bikes on Sora and for the life of me cannot figure out the rear derailleur! Small cog on the front with small rings on the back leads to the chain doubling up on itself. Really fuddles me
blush.gif

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Sora. Utter cr@p. You press the little levers it changes to a smaller ring, you swipe the brake levers it changes to a bigger ring. Doesn't make me more attractive to women, or sort my wonky teeth, or put me in contention for a place in the peleton, nor nothing.

I can't understand why they fitted it to my bike at all.:whistle:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
I have an old sora (7 speed) my first introduction to STI/Ergolever types controls & allways been fine & accurate, 'nice & clunky' dependable & durable, a genuine good introductory level. I actually like the little thumb levers.

Have 105 fitted to my other bike; which I would recomend as the next step up, missing out Tiagra, next time you buy or upgrade.

Its not the best but it'll certainly do the job. Ive got Sora on my converted sirrus and Veloce and 105 on my other bikes, the sora is a bit clumpier, the hoods a little less comfortable for long rides and I can't reach the thumb lever on the drops but it does work :-)

Tyke

Also was looking at the boardman in my price range this also runs sora parts.
My budget is £650 no more.

If your not chasing a big name take a look at the Carera Vanquish that's the Red/Black one not the new green one just coming out. Nice bike Tigra shifters Tigra rear, Sora front going for just under 500 but if you sign up to the Halford's mailing list and fill in some questions, about 6 if I remember right you can get another 10% of web orders and still collect instore if you want.

If you still like the Boardman get the 10% off that instead.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I have a Sora/Tiagra mix on my bike. Tiagra rear mech and Sora front mech and Sora shifters. I have had the bike for nearly six months and I have no issues with them at all. They do the job very well.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I run one of my bikes on Sora and for the life of me cannot figure out the rear derailleur! Small cog on the front with small rings on the back leads to the chain doubling up on itself. Really fuddles me
blush.gif

You shouldnt really be on the small ring and on the small cog at the rear anyway!

lulubel

Über Member
There's nothing wrong with Sora. It does the job you need it to do. My OH has it on her bike and is very happy with it.

My only complaint about it is that I (and my OH, although it doesn't bother her) can't reach the thumb levers from the drops. I ride on the drops quite a lot, and would find it irritating to have to keep moving my hands to change gear. My bike came with Sora as standard, but I had it upgraded to Tiagra when it arrived in the shop, which meant my LBS could sell the Sora shifters as new, so they gave me a very good price. If you're a regular customer of your LBS, it might be worth finding out what they can do for you (ie if you buy the bike from them, you might convince them to give you an upgrade - if you want one - for free).

But if you're not bothered about changing on the drops, just stick with the Sora.

Like most others here, I would recommend sora, IF you cannot afford any better and IF you do most of your riding on the hoods.

It works fine for the price.

I don't know anybody who is able/has been to reach the little levers on the drops but, apart from Lulubel, most of the time this is not going to be a problem. Sora came with my first 'real' bike a couple of years ago and, due to an incident on my 'best' bike which is in bike hospital, am now riding it again all the time. Very strangely, I am coming to see why shimano tried this in the first place because from on the hoods they actually work well and are comfortable!

Top Bottom