shoes rubbing on chainstays?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a bianchi verone and I think I have always had a problem with the inside heel area of my cycling shoes rubbing on the chainstays, I'm prety sure everything is set up right and it feels comfortable when pedalling, it doesn't rub all the time and I can see some wear on the shoes in that area. I felt I'd just live with it, however today after 12 miles riding with some neoprene overshoes I think I'll have to do something about it as there is now a huge amount of wear at this point on the overshoes, so much wear that I think if I'd done another few miles in them it would have worn right through.

Does anyone esle have this issue?

I wonder if fitting a couple of washers to the pedal spindle so moving it out a bit would at least help slightly.

Any other ideas welcome?

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Can you not just adjust the cleats ?

YahudaMoon

Über Member
I cant see a company like Mavic designing shoes and pedals that don't fit a bicycle ?

YahudaMoon

Über Member
So it's a part bad geometry on the bike and 'I have big feet' problem then ?

Can't say Ive ever experienced the problem. Im in UK 7 1/2 for shoes though.

amaferanga

Veteran
So it's a part bad geometry on the bike and 'I have big feet' problem then ?

Can't say Ive ever experienced the problem. Im in UK 7 1/2 for shoes though.

No. It depends on the natural angle of your feet. I have below average sized feet, but get some crank and chainstay rub if I wear thick overshoes and most of my bikes. Even without overshoes my heels are very, very close to the chainstay on a couple of them.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
The OP is talking about a 5-10 mm calibration on a set of cleats.

This aint about the natural angle of someones foot.

Its about someone who don't know how to ride / set up a bike properly

amaferanga

Veteran
The OP is talking about a 5-10 mm calibration on a set of cleats.

This aint about the natural angle of someones foot.

Its about someone who don't know how to ride / set up a bike properly

So you're saying that both myself and the OP don't know how to set up our bikes because we have an issue that you don't have? Funny that whenever I start off with new shoes/cleats I always end up with the same cleat positioning and my heals very close to the chainstays. If I set them up with my heel further out all that happens is that I get knee discomfort and find myself trying to twist my heel inwards to alleviate the discomfort.

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
So you're saying that both myself and the OP don't know how to set up our bikes because we have an issue that you don't have? Funny that whenever I start off with new shoes/cleats I always end up with the same cleat positioning and my heals very close to the chainstays. If I set them up with my heel further out all that happens is that I get knee discomfort and find myself trying to twist my heel inwards to alleviate the discomfort.

Agreed, unfortunately my "natural gait" is with my feet pointing at about 5 to 1, therefore I set my cleats so that I pedal with my feet in that position, which as far as I am aware is the correct thing to do. If, like you, I try to set my cleats up in the straight ahead position I get knee discomfort.

Incidentally my shoe cleat position is well within the adjustment envelope of the shoes, and having ridden for more years than I care to remember and about 4500 miles this year, I'm fairly sure I know how to ride a bike, and as up till now I've had no real issues I'm fairly sure I've set it up OK for me too. The difference is the thickness of the overshoes and the fact that my set up leaves very little clearance between shoe and chainstay at the rear of the pedal stroke, having size 10's doesn't help either

Top Bottom