FNRttC Short "Fridays" tour to France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
We have been on that ferry when dozens of cyclists have been going to and from Paris for the finish of Le Tour. As I recall, someone just phones them up and they release more spaces.
@StuartG has been in near-constant phone conversation with DFDS, which these days rund the ferry. Apparently they want to reserve capacity for cars on a key holiday weekend, so have very limited capacity for cyclists and pedestrians and are currently unwilling to release more space.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Indeed, and 10 cyclists pay £200 per crossing, which is far more than one car pays. Cyclists represent far more money but ferry companies tend not to appreciate that.
ICBA to protest but someone could get the CTC to protest, if they CBA.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Yet another thing DFDS suck at. I still bristle at the memory of being the very last vehicle off the boat at Dover two years back (nearly missed a train thanks to that). Wightlink don't have this problem with the IOW Randonnee, and that's a lot more bikes on a much smaller ferry. Not bought a ferry ticket for September's tour yet, giving serious thought to returning from Calais instead.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
@StuartG has been in near-constant phone conversation with DFDS.... they want to reserve capacity for cars on a key holiday weekend, so have very limited capacity for cyclists and pedestrians and are currently unwilling to release more space.
Given where the bikes are put on that ferry, a decision that more bikes=fewer cars can be made only by a complete numpty who has never set foot on the boat or asked the loading gang if there is any effect at all.

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Having similar issues with Brittany Ferries on the Portsmouth to Cherborg route. Been told by staff to ring about a week before departure when they might be able to free up some places. It is sad times especially with the stupid issues with bikes and Eurostar

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Having similar issues with Brittany Ferries on the Portsmouth to Cherborg route. Been told by staff to ring about a week before departure when they might be able to free up some places. It is sad times especially with the stupid issues with bikes and Eurostar
I assume this is the Normandie Express, which does have rather smaller capacity than the slower ferries? And would point out Eurostar backtracked on the bike policy change, I had no bother getting Mr Gravel on a train to Brussels and neither did Sonia.

Top Bottom