Shortage of bricks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Scaffolds now have stairs, and hods are antiques .
View attachment 59321

hmmm, didn't know that, spent one Summer from college running the hod, thought I was fit before that, never been so knackered but the money was good....this was mid 80s by the way

U

User6179

hmmm, didn't know that, spent one Summer from college running the hod, thought I was fit before that, never been so knackered but the money was good....this was mid 80s by the way

No Cement mixers either now , hod carriers must of had one of the hardest jobs ever , most brickies will average up to 1000 bricks a day as well.
What was the ratio of hod carriers to brickies then ?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
No Cement mixers either now , hod carriers must of had one of the hardest jobs ever , most brickies will average up to 1000 bricks a day as well.
What was the ratio of hod carriers to brickies then ?

varied, the worst were a couple of really big sites where it was all about speed, I think I got up to about 5 brickies but others could do more. Plus there was endless abuse from the brickies, seemed part of their job was to get you to bite. I liked the smaller jobs where there was trickier stuff which left some down time. But bear in mind this was only a college/holiday job, the previous Summer I'd worked for a roofer and figured hodding couldn't be worse and was paying better. The next Summer I was back on the roofing ^_^

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Bricks are never used in building here. Everything is made from concrete blocks with reinforced concrete pillars and beams. Our new house even has concrete roof tiles. So really just a question of adapting to new materials.
image.jpg

U

User6179

Bricks are never used in building here. Everything is made from concrete blocks with reinforced concrete pillars and beams. Our new house even has concrete roof tiles. So really just a question of adapting to new materials.
Concrete still the main material in UK for traditional builds , Foundations , floor , internal walls , roof tiles , just the outer skin that is clay bricks , rendered houses are all concrete blocks/bricks.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Rosie & Jim have the answer

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I read in a building magazine that there is a shortage of bricks and builders are having to wait weeks to get their hands on some bricks. This leads the question what is the alternative if there is not enough clay anymore to make bricks to build houses. Stone, concrete, timber and blocks could all be in short supply is there was a surge in damand so what is the answer.
Dumb people, perhaps? There's quite a few blockheads out there, doing nothing useful (at the moment) :evil:.

screenman

Legendary Member
If there is a shortage that is not the fault of the builders, so why should they be expected to do more than was agreed in the sale.

Berties

Fast and careful!
The shortage is a supply and demand issue,brick making had a down time when the building industry was struggling,kilns shut down people laid off hours reduced etc,
Now more traditional new builds springing up and the brick kilns are in full operation again,they just can't keep up and have very little back stock,it's been the case for over a year
Alternatives are! Our main part of the house is made of chalk,Cobb ,dig a well extract the chalk ,shutter and press it in ,damp course is flints,dry line inside and lime render outside over chicken wire,been standing for years now

Top Bottom